possible suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 AM

Car Info: IMPREZA STI 2006
possible suspension problem

Two weeks ago I had to replace my rear tires because they were done. After getting the new tires I got on the freeway and while going straight over really small bumps I could feel like the car would move weird almost like if the car's rear would start to move from side to side which i find weird since I'm driving straight and over really small bumps, then I took a ramp to catch a different freeway at about 75 mph and while on the curved ramp I went over some bumps and got the same feeling but it was much scarier since I was going kinda fast, turning and on a ramp that's probably 50ft or more from the ground. the car felt like it wanted to go one way then the other (imagine carrying something heavy and have the weight pull you to one side then the other). The tires were balanced before being put on but I thought they could possibly be defective but I'm told by some people who have an ok amount of car knowledge that that has nothing to do with my tires that it's most likely a problem in my suspension but it was just weird that I started to feel that the day I installed new tires. Any advice?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 08 IMPREZA
Check your tire pressure and alignment.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
From what you describe, could be a blown shock or a problem with the rear swaybar. Might be a dumb question, but I've done it before , did you check to make sure all the lug nuts were tight?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: GC,GF,GD,GR,GH
To me it sounds like the Toe settings are off, you can run toe in or out, as long as it is equal on both sides, but as soon as toe is more or less on one side, it makes the car feel like it wants to push and pull all over the place. This is even more extreme in the rain or snow. Also the Toe being off could have made your old tires wear out quicker as well, and an alignment is always a good thing, so never hurts to have one done

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by RallySportDirect
To me it sounds like the Toe settings are off, you can run toe in or out, as long as it is equal on both sides, but as soon as toe is more or less on one side, it makes the car feel like it wants to push and pull all over the place. This is even more extreme in the rain or snow. Also the Toe being off could have made your old tires wear out quicker as well, and an alignment is always a good thing, so never hurts to have one done

Thanks,
Rick
Good point, it is possible there was an existing problem already, especially if your tires wore funny.

Another minor thing, while the tires are still brand new, like within a few hundred miles, they will feel "squishy" because they have preservative on them that needs to be worn off and also because the tread blocks are obviously taller than the old tires.