Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Squealing brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
For the Axxis pads, you will not need the shims anymore because the and antisqueeking is already designed onto the back of the pad already. The main in which the squeeking is coming from is form the sides of the brackets. The metel tabs or edges is what is causing the squeek. Try putting a little grease on the sides and see what happens. I know that there is some gray goop you put on the edge of the tabs where the pads go into the bracket, it will get rid of the noise. That is what I have noticed when I had my brakes done at one dealership.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:47 AM

Car Info: o2 duburu arr exu
Originally posted by Zahnster
Well, I switched back to stock pads for now and most of the squeal has gone away.

I'm not sure how much to trust this info since it sounds like BS, but then again it's not like he's on commision. The Subaru Parts counter guy was saying that racing type pads are not designed for the material the stock rotors are made with. The stock pads are.

So I was thinking, would getting some DBAs or Stoptech stock size rear rotors be a good way to go if I was going to switch back to the Axxis Ultimates.
I'm having the same problems as you. After running Axxis Ultimates for ~5k miles, my rear brakes are squeeking under light braking pressure. They dont squeel during harder stops. I installed the little metal brakes on the pads, but I didn't put extra goop stuff. I just transferred as much as I could from the stock pads to the Axxis', hehe.

I'm also looking into new brakes now. The stoptechs are tempting but I'd really like to replace both front and rear brakes. I might just go with the STi Brembo setup, but my wallet will be the deciding factor...