Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

What modifications would void factory warranty? (was: one question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5
What modifications would void factory warranty? (was: one question)

I was wondering if anyone knows about what voids warranties. Im getting a 2007 impreza 2.5i, and was wondering if replacing things such as the exhaust system would void warranty on the car. Does anyone know or should i just ask the dealership about it
Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
An exhaust system that doesn't remove the catalytic converter won't void your warranty. when it comes to mods, things like an air intake, cat back exhaust won't void it. It's when you do things like changing the turbo, map changes, etc that will void your warranty.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5
alright thanks, and i was wondering i havent been able to get a straight answer on what exhaust systems/headers fit an 07 2.5i. i just keep seeing stuff that supposedly fits like wrx's, but also fit 2.5s.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:55 PM

There's a couple of other points:

If you modify your car in any way, the dealer may not be as helpful when it comes to sorting out warranty issues. For example, if you have swapped out your wheels, suspension, exhaust, intake, lotsa gauges etc. and you turn up with a blown transmission, they might be wary even if the modifications don't actually have an impact on the tranny.

A second point is that the warranty isn't an all or nothing thing. If you change out the whole exhaust, turbo, intercooler etc. they will still cover repairs to your AC under warranty although they would probably refuse to do warranty work on the transmission.

Lastly, having a good rapport with your dealer helps. If you always go there for regular work and they have a good history on the car, they will probably be less picky about doing warranty work.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:45 PM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
whichever part that you change is the part that loses its warranty. but if the dealer some how links the part you changed to affecting something else you're trying to get warrantied you're kinda effed.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Here's an interesting snipette. Lord know I've had my share of motors. As a matter of fact I think I am at the top of the list with 8. Anyway, Subaru of America has not covered warranty repairs on OEM configuration in the past. There is a little disclosure in the factory warranty agreement that states the use of the vehicle in motorsports or other activities that may subject the engine/drivetrain to unusual wear and tear may void your warranty. This is when they throw the "tear down estimate" at you. When they conduct this "tear down estimate" they actually inspect each individual component of the engine the determine if it was abused. The reports are then sent to SOA where they determine if your claim is valid and wil either approve or disapprove your repairs. In the event they disapprove the repairs you will then be responsible for labor charges to conduct the "tear down estimate" and... here's where it gets funny; you will also be responsible for the reassembly of the broken motor or what ever. If you chose not to have it reassembled you get a pile of parts. Now that you know what happens when you arrive at a dealership with a blown motor, here's another little juicy detail courtesy of SOA. Many of us already know about the Open/CLosed Loop delay that is factory tuned into MY04+ Imprezas. Many of us also know that this blip has destroyed tons of motors. Coincedence? I don't think so...

I say if you plan to mod have SPT/STi parts installed at the dealer.
If your concern is warranty, keep it stock and keep all records of service, repairs, oil changes, mileage. I have seen many get their warranty thrown back in their face because they didn't have proper documentation.

That's my two cents.