Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Vacuum leak on '03 wrx, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 2003 wrx impreza
Vacuum leak on '03 wrx, need help!!!

I have an 2003 wrx, it has about 40k on, the car is running great, all stock except the wheels & tires.
Lately, I've discovered that there is a Vacuum leak when idle, you can't tell when the car is cold, only when it's been driving for a while and in idle...is this a big problem? any suggestions on where should I start? thx!

Last edited by silver_wrx; 08-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Vacuum leaks are always a problem. They can cause rough running and cost you fuel economy. How did you discover that your engine has a leak?

Check any vacuum connections for cracks and examine hoses for splitting along their length. Don't forget that there are vacuum lines that go to the power brake booster and to things like solenoids.

Some vacuum leaks can be found by simply listening for them under the hood. Turn off accessories like air-conditioning and the radio so that you have fewer noise sources to contend with. Listen for a high-pitched sound of rushing air, which sometimes sounds like a whistle. Listening through a piece of large diameter tubing like plastic PVC sprinkler pipe or conduit might help to pinpoint the leak, but watch out for moving parts! Gently wiggle some hoses to see if this makes the sound more obvious. They used to recommend spraying around suspected leaks with aerosols like Gumout or Chemtool B-12 carburetor cleaners because if the liquid finds the leak, the idle speed will audibly increase until the liquid is sucked dry from the leak. You have to be careful anytime you spray a flammable liquid in the engine compartment, though.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-01-2006, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 2003 wrx impreza
Heck, no wonder for the past month or so, I’ve noticed that I can’t go very far with 1 full tank of gas, I knew something was wrong, but didn’t realized the leak problem though.
I guess I had this Vacuum leak for a while, but it’s never this obvious, and I thought I was being over sensitive…
Well, since the problem is noticeable when idle, but I didn’t know what it was, so I went to a friend’s and had him checked it out, I was told this is a Vacuum leak, I went “what? How did this happen?...” It’s only 3 yrs old, and I maintain & take care of it well… =(
But ya, you can tell by listening under the hood, and inside of the car when idle, it’s obvious, even with the radio on, you can feel it. so not cool…sigh…hey, thanks for the tip!