Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Transmission Improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
Those will make it shift alot smoother but it depends on what brand shifter you will use. I have the Kartboy setup and I love it. The only thing I need to get is the mount. Some people say this shifter is too notchy and I admit, sometimes it takes a little effort to put it in first gear but the throw is superior to stock.
The biggest problem with Suby trannies is 'case-flex'. People don't realize that this is a major problem with ANY transmission that has an aluminum housing. The shifter setup will help smooth it out but if you plan to be competitive and reliable, you should look into new gears or design some kind of brace for the transmission and sell it to i-clubbers for dirt cheap.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
It seems good enough. Anything from Cobb is top-shelf. I would just go crazy trying to figure out the perfect setting.

The Kartboy is still smooth, just a little stubborn into first gear. This may be just because of it getting "broken in". The dealer told me it was common in first gear when the trannies get a lot of miles on them.
Then again it may just be my trannie.

You may also want to consider noise. I had to tighten the linkage to the shifter VERY hard to stop the vibration noise but it only happened on the freeway.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:54 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
I didnt like the Vivid Racing short throw. Only had it on the car for about two weeks. Kartboy rocks though. For case flex, the only thing that I could think of would be to add more rings or "ribs" around the case. VDubbs have been doin this for years and our trannys look very similar to theirs (outside) besides we have a driveshaft comin out the back. Mybee a VW aftermarket tranny place could help out a Subie gearbox.

Nick