Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Tranny Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 04:42 PM

Tranny Warranty Issue

Here is the problem, when shifting from 3rd into 4th gear at a higher rate of speed I get a slight grind and then once it is in gear it is fine. I am guessing from what I have read in the tranny forum that my syncro is going bad. This grind does not occur when I drive normally, well not yet anyway.

My mods are as follows:
VF34, Injectors, Fuel Pump, EM, Kartboy SS, Turbo Back, Uppipe.

My dealership is a PIA to work with about issues cause I had problems with them about a previous warranty issue. So my question is should I wait until the problem gets worse and grinding occurs every time I shift from 3rd to 4th before I take it in, or will it be too late? Should I change the gear oil and see if the problem goes away?
I am really stuck here because I know how my dealership is and I don't think there are many Suby dealerships/Subby specialty shops around my area that I can go to. All input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chip
Old 03-26-2006, 08:12 AM

I have a 96 OBS with 140K on it now. The synchros for 2nd is not in tip top shape and doesn't like hard shifts at high rpm. If you just drive normally and ease into gear w/o just shoving it the synchro will last for a long time even if it grinds occasionally during fast shifts. (You can sort of feel when the gear is ready to go into the place.)
Old 03-26-2006, 02:43 PM

That is the way my car is, but with 4th gear. If you drive normally it is fine, but under higher rpm shifting is when I get the quick grind. I am going to have the tranny fluid to changed to the mixture everyone is raving about. (Valvoline gear oil and GM syncromesh) Hopefully this will help, if not solve my problem. I don't know, but when it comes to my stuff especially my car I am a perfectionist about things, and I like to fix a problem as soon as it arises and not wait until it gets worse.