Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

socket stuck in cyl. head spark plug well (was: HELP!! Anyone ever see this happen?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 08:26 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS, Blue Ridge Pearl
Angry HELP!! Anyone ever see this happen?

I put a new clutch in my car this weekend and decided to swap out the plugs too and when i pulled out one of the boots, it ripped and left about an inch of the rubber still on the plug. After we thought all of the rubber was out we tried a socket but it would still not grab the plug. My friend then proceeded to put a 17 mm deepwell in there thinkingn it would go around the rubber and grab the plug. Well, now that 17mm socket refuses to come out of my motor. We have tried ez-outs, drill bits, putting bolts into the socket and prying on it but it WILL NOT EVEN BUDGE. I am not sure if I should use heat because of how thin the plug cylinder is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails socket stuck in cyl. head spark plug well (was: HELP!! Anyone ever see this happen?)-dsc01443.jpg  
Old 04-17-2006, 10:03 PM

does anyone know if the spark plug well is removable?? it appears to be pressed in from the head. Still no progress on that damn socket. Might have to take it into a machine shop soon if i dont figure it out.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I'm sorry you haven't received any helpful replies to your spark plug problem. I've looked at your text and attached pic several times but can't even venture a guess on how I would tackle this problem. I imagine your fellow members are in the same boat as me.

I've attached a page from the service manual about the procedure to remove the rocker cover (valve cover, cam cover) for the DOHC turbo engine but the procedure is similar for any current engine. It's a lot of work but might allow you more access to the socket and spark plug. The manual does not indicate whether the spark plug well is pressed into the head or not.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Attached Thumbnails socket stuck in cyl. head spark plug well (was: HELP!! Anyone ever see this happen?)-cam.removal.png  
Old 04-25-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
I imagine your fellow members are in the same boat as me.
Yup, this is nightmare home-maintennance scenario. I think I'd be heading to the machine shop.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I am confused. What is the socket stuck on? And, I don't think the plugs are 17mm, are they? Is the socket stuck on the plug, or is it stuck because it is too fat and it got stuck on the walls?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:52 AM

17mm socket got stuck over piece of spark plug boot that split off from the rest of the cable. The larger socket was placed over the piece of boot and the spark plug hex, hoping to remove both at once. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and the socket got wedged tight.

--
0==WW==0
Old 04-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Admin v2.0

So it is stuck on the rubber? I don't see it being too hard to get it out. Try long needle nose pliers. Stick them into the socket hole and open them up. Also use some WD40.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
Wow this looks like the kind of thing that would happen to me. I would do something dumb like bending a wire hanger into a fishhook-like shape and fishing it out. If it is too tight there has to be some sort of spreader tool that will fit in the sacket and expand. I don't know, I hope you figure out something cheap.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:33 PM

I had this happen on a Honda, Exactly like Gijow said, Take a coat hanger, bend the end of it so that it's like a hook, but make sure it's spread quite wide. Then as you insert it, it will lock inside the chamber of the socket. Now if the diameter of the socket is larger and is causing the wedge, that's another issue. Sockets designed for sparkplug removal are usually tapered more.
Good luck!!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Admin v2.0

Here is what I would do.

Take a long 10mm bolt. By long I mean long enough to be stuck inside the socket and still have oen end come out pass the valvle cover.

Then I would file the head just enough so that it would fit inside 3/4" socket opening.

Stick bolt head first into the socket. If you lift the bolt up, the head would get stuck there. Now, take a long screw driver and stick it also in the same 3/4" hole. That way the head of the bolt is wedged in there and it is not going to come out since the screw driver is preventing it from dropping.

So now you have a permanent connection between the socket and the bolt.

Use some nuts, washers and spacers to rig something that would allow you to use a pry bar and carefully pry it out.

If you dont understand, let me know and I will draw it out for u. I use this method all the time when I pull S14/240SX pilot bearings out.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 95 Impreza Wagon... 1.8 Litres of fury!
coathanger, anything long with a hook at the end... ... did you try a magnet? also, i think you could remove the valve cover maybe? just some ideas... good luck
Old 04-28-2006, 06:34 PM

well the socket finally came out last night. My neighbor is an airplane mechanic and I showed him and he kept trying different ideas. He showed up with some contraption he made out of some sort of airplane cable designed to take a load up to 600lbs. He got that wedged into the socket and then hooked it up to an electric winch. After all this the socket still wouldnt come out with just a straight pull, so I had to hook up a set of vice grips and spin it while the load was being applied. The thing finally let loose and went flying across the garage. Thanks for all the ideas, and I hope this never happens to anyone else cause it was a nightmare.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm relieved to hear that you and your neighbor were able to remove the 17mm socket. Hopefully you'll be able to retrieve the piece of spark plug boot and the spark plug itself with little trouble.

--
0==WW==0
Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 AM

Wow! I bet you were relieved when it popped out. Congratulations
Old 05-09-2006, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
i would of just used a locking extension and turned the socket out