Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:30 PM

Rear Differential

I have an 05 WRX and when I first got my car I noticed a wooohing sound when I did 65 and then let off of the gas. The Subaru dealer replaced my rear differential and the sound was gone. Well now about 15k later and now I am running a stage 2 the sound is back (sound did not come back as soon as exhuast and AP were installed, it has been a couple thousand miles). I was wondering if the rear differential would still be covered under warranty even with the exhaust and AP on the car. And of course I will set the computer back to stock before I take it in.

Thanks,
Chip
Old 01-15-2006, 04:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Well, it seems odd that you would go through two diffs. Either you're really unlucky and got two bad diffs, you're doing something with the car you shouldn't be (like tons of donuts) and burning up the diff, or the dealer replaced the wrong part and/or didn't completely resolve the issue.

Provided you're not doing donuts and burning your diff, since it happened before I would think it should still be covered under warranty. Besides, adding the small amount of power you're talking about shouldn't kill the diff.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:22 PM

LOL, no I deffinitely don't do donuts or anything crazy with my car. I haven't even taken my car to the track. It is pretty much my daily driver and I drive very conservatively. So I think I am just unlucky I guess. I will have to call them Monday or Tuesday and set something up, but do you think I should say anything about the exhaust to them when I make the appointment? Cause I don't want to drop it off and then when they call me to pick it up they tell me it wasn't under warranty because of what I did. Then I have to pay through the roof to get my car back.

Thanks,
Chip
Old 01-15-2006, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 06 STI WRB/Gold
You should be ok to take it in. I've taken my car in with more mods than that and have had no problems with them changing out drivetrain parts.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Chip18
LOL, no I deffinitely don't do donuts or anything crazy with my car. I haven't even taken my car to the track. It is pretty much my daily driver and I drive very conservatively. So I think I am just unlucky I guess. I will have to call them Monday or Tuesday and set something up, but do you think I should say anything about the exhaust to them when I make the appointment? Cause I don't want to drop it off and then when they call me to pick it up they tell me it wasn't under warranty because of what I did. Then I have to pay through the roof to get my car back.

Thanks,
Chip
They can't legal assess charges without your consent. At worst, they may have you sign a waiver when you drop off the car that says if they determine the failed equipment due to abuse or mods that you will have to pay a $xx.xx fee for the inspection (it's $89.99 at a dealer in my area).