Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 08:46 AM

Car Info: WRBlue 2k5 Subaru WRX STi
Wow... the government would actually ship it for free?

If you buy it from another country, would it be street legal here in the states?

If it would be street legal here in the states, then if I were you, I'd get mine straight from the source.... Japan!... considering it is left hand driver's side ofcourse.

Makes me wanna join the Navy now.

As far as mods, I'm sure the other STi owners here could give you some input.

Good luck in the Navy pal.... take care.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
If you purchase it in, lets say, Japan its designed for 95RON fuel. Here in the states 91 will be max in a few years. So maybe look into that issue
Old 10-05-2003, 01:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
You can't legally bring a non-US model into the US and register and drive it here. Sure the Navy may ship it for you but once it gets here it has to be either certified to meet DOT/EPA standards, exported back out of the country, or destroyed. Unlike in the "good old days" of the gray market, certification is a cost-prohibitive option for an individual importer, and has to be done by an approved shop of which there are few. Also the particular car has to be on the NHTSA's list of vehicles that can be certified.
If you really want an STi you'll have to buy one in the states, just look around for the best deal. They are already sitting on dealer's lots waiting to be sold so the STi craze is pretty much over, along with the over-MSRP gouging by all but a few greedy dealers. There are also used ones available already as people are selling them for various reasons (can't afford it, had a kid etc.). By the time you get back you should have no problem finding one at a good price.