Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Planning a road trip - pre-trip safety/maintenance checklist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 08:39 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza RS
Plannig a Road Trip

Hey guys im going down to Florrisant CO. Its a little west of Colorado Springs CO. Roughly 1000miles from where im at. Anyways what are some good things to check before I go down there. Things I figure is tire pressure, tire wear, break pads, oil, and i'll flush/refill the radiator, alignment. If there is anything else i need to do please let me know. Also how do I check for wear on the pads and tires. Just so I can roughly see how much I have left.
p.s repost from rs25.com didn't get many good responses there.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:34 PM

Car Info: 05 SLK 350
I would check the battery as well, make sure there is no corrosion on it, and have an electrical system test done at your local auto parts store before you head out. Don't wanna be out there and have the alternator go out on you. Been there, done it, and it sucks.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:39 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Clean the inside of the windshield really well before the trip. You might have to travel when the sun is at a low angle and it gets old quick if the haze from the interior plastics and fabrics coats the glass.

Bring bottled water or other low sugar content drink to re-hydrate yourself during extended periods behind the wheel.

Have someone help you check all of the various lamps, side markers, and flashers in actual operation so you can replace any lamps that have burned out.

Be sure to bring along a copy of your vehicle registration and insurance info, including phone numbers to report incidents. You never know what to expect on the open road.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush