Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Newb Questions (considering MY03/04 WRX purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JBL85
[B] Yeah, I know the whole year depreciation deal, although I got 1000 off buying a 02(instead of 03) Turbo Honda PWC, I would expect more off from a car.

I am gonna go to Irvine Subaru, you live in OC you know where it is, I was over there the other day but just looked at the cars on the front lot and just eyein the STi, what a sweet ride, but for 30k, I rather get a Mustang Cobra.

Hot rod magazine tested these 2 cars against eachother and the STI beat it in all compitition but top speed (STI 145mph, cobra 155mph). On the road course the STI was 2.7 seconds faster (It was driven by a guy that had no experience with AWD). after alittle more than 30 laps the STI would be lapping the cobra. You also have to remember the cobra is made by ford, it isnt equipt with AWD and it costs around $3000 more. I have an 02 wrx with 43k and it has been a great car. I have noticed people complaining about problems with the 04. search some of the other threads and you will see what Im talking about. Buy a WRX and you wont regret it. good luck.

Last edited by MO REX; 02-26-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:04 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX, blue
Here's my take on everthing that was said. I have an 03 wrx. (stage 4 now) When it was new had some fuel pruge valve bull**** problem, but after the dealer fixed it that was that and have had no problem since. When you go to buy it make sure you go to a mod friendly dealer,(not a problem in CA) I live in maryland and my dealer Herd-Gordon, Mile One, is the biggest azz dealer in the freaken world.(they didn't want to warrenty my fuel purge thing at first becuase I had aftermarket guages, like that effects my fuel tank) And to add to neenjafus comment about haveing fun on your test drive, take more then one and don't have to much fun a guy from the dealership I bought my car from flipped a rex in a test drive 3 time like 4 hours before I got there.(he only scrapped his elbow) After seeing the car and then finding out that the both the 2 people in the car were not hurt I knew it must be safe. So do your homework and get something that your like.

Addtionally, I am making around 305 at the wheels and not haveing any tranny problems yet so if you are staying stock I wouldn't think you will have any problems. Also, the fuel purge thing was fixed(so they tell me) on the 04's, they said it is an ecm problem with it interfacing with the valve I had in my gas tank. It is a long story.

Good luck.

I Can't Spell And I Know It, But I Can Drive Like I Stole It
Old 02-27-2004, 08:07 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX, blue
NOOOOOOO, don't do that in the car bad bad bad luck( not for you, but the car) Save that stuff for the house and public restrooms