Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Jacking up a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 12:16 AM

Car Info: Blue '04 WRX
Jacking up a WRX?

Reading the owners manual there are identified sections in front of the rear tires and just behind the front tires where one is directed to place the included jack to lift the car...it seems that the included jack conforms somewhat to the underside.

I bought a 3-ton car jack and 3-ton support stands, hoping to raise the rear of the car enough to get under and do some work. Can I place the 3-ton lift under the medal fold, raise the car, and then lower it onto the 3-ton stands to hold the car while I work without bending the frame area? Anyone done this before? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:21 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by poloman808
I bought a 3-ton car jack and 3-ton support stands, hoping to raise the rear of the car enough to get under and do some work. Can I place the 3-ton lift under the medal fold, raise the car, and then lower it onto the 3-ton stands to hold the car while I work without bending the frame area? Anyone done this before? Thanks.
Jacking instructions thread, for those who may be unfamiliar with the manual.

Do not use a conventional floor or hydraulic ram-type jack underneath the factory lift points. These are designed to be used only with the factory pantograph-type jack. While I have seen other members use these locations for jack stand support, IMO it concentrates too much weight in a small area when using something other than a factory-supplied jack.

I raise the car with a floor jack from the support plate behind the oil pan. I then place two jack stands beneath the frame rail near the factory jacking points (frame rail is further inboard). I make certain to miss the u-shaped brace that wraps around the front underside of the vehicle (metal is too weak to support vehicle).

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-14-2004, 08:54 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, WR Blue
If you're using a conventional floor jack, don't jack it up from the brace that the subframe connector connects to in front of the rear tire. I made this mistake yesterday (to install new wheels) and it's costing me $350 on a frame puller to straighten the brace out. There was a nasty metal-on-metal grating noise whenever there was any driveline lash or quick change of direction and there was about half a finger less clearance on the right rear tire than the left one. Stick to the factory jack.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
You can use the rear diff as a jack point when you need to elevate the rear in the future.