Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

fusible link the problem? No electrical power.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback
fusible link the problem? No electrical power.

Hi I have a 97 outback which is similar to a 98 RS so i thought I'd post here.

I installed a grounding kit and when I reconnected the positive battery terminal it made a large spark which I had expected. I had a little intermittent contact which caused more sparks. As a result, then I went to start the car only the key chime and keyless entry worked. I checked the fusible link and noticed a bit of white powder on top of the arc of the wire. I removed it and it broke it was extremely brittle. So I don't know if it was the "missing link" to my electrical problems or something else that I accidentally broke on a while goose chase. When your fusible link breaks what happens to your cars? Is there any viable jerry rigs that I can use? I tried one of the wires left over from the grounding kit, but it's mesh of wires were too thin and it just popped out and burnt the plastic a bit. No go. Thoughts? What else should I check?

PS: I disconnected the grounding kit to establish a baseline and the symptoms are the same.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The fusible link interrupts most of the power to the vehicle, its purpose is to protect against a short or wiring problem before the fuse box. Just installing a grounding kit should not cause it to blow, you may have inadvertently shorted positive to negative someplace.
Remove your grounding wires, replace the link and make sure everything works. Then verify your wiring path before starting over.