Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Electrical problem (Headlights, Vehicle Speed Sensor, ABS light, Speedometer, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
Electrical problem (Headlights, Vehicle Speed Sensor, ABS light, Speedometer, etc)

Car: 2002 WRX

I was backing out of a friends driveway and hit my brand and was about to put my car in first when I noticed my speedometer jumped to about 15-20 mph and back to 0 mph as I was hitting the brake. I thought nothing of it, and started inching forward and tried to turn on my headlights (it's dark out). My headlights dont work, and my ABS light is on. I end up following my friend to my house to park my car since I have no headlights and on the way (less than 1 mile) my check engine light comes on. I pull the code and it is P0500, vehicle speed sensor.

I've done some testing, and the turn signals, corner markers (small white light in headlamp), and hazards work. The light on the cruise control button does not light up when I press it and the fog lights also don't turn on when headlights are in on position. If I am driving along, and turn my headlights in the on position, my speedometer drops to 0 mph; it does not work when my headlights are on.

Problems: Headlights don't work, ABS light comes on and off spontaneously, CEL (P0500) Vehicle Speed Sensor, when healights are in on position, speedometer drops to 0 mph.

Anyone ever had this problem before? I've checked fuses already and I'm guessing it has to do with the ignition because everthing that does not work is turned off when you turn the car off. Does anybody have a wiring diagram so that I can try to trace some wires and find the problem?

TIA,
Nick
Old 08-15-2006, 11:06 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Wow lol. Bermuta triangle :x
Old 08-15-2006, 01:15 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
i have the speed sensor code and same symptom with my speedometer (except this happens with my lights either on or off)...after spending like 400 bucks at dealership for them to check it out:

1. check the speed sensor on the tranny
2. check the speedo gear inside the tranny

found out problem is my vishnu xede....one of the wires i either need to ground better or it is shorting out....each time my gf sits in the passenger seat whenever my speedometer reads 0 i have her tap with her foot lightly where the ecu is and my speedometer goes to where it is supposed to read...cant wait till i get my new 034 standalone so i dont have to deal with this crap ne more....
Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by DanyoCantDrift
i have the speed sensor code and same symptom with my speedometer (except this happens with my lights either on or off)...after spending like 400 bucks at dealership for them to check it out:

1. check the speed sensor on the tranny
2. check the speedo gear inside the tranny

found out problem is my vishnu xede....one of the wires i either need to ground better or it is shorting out....each time my gf sits in the passenger seat whenever my speedometer reads 0 i have her tap with her foot lightly where the ecu is and my speedometer goes to where it is supposed to read...cant wait till i get my new 034 standalone so i dont have to deal with this crap ne more....
****... I have a piggyback so that may be my problem too.

Any way to test it out/fix it?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
try...tappin lightly or having someone tap lightly on the location where the ecu is at...if you notice ne thing happen like speedometer jump everytime you do that then there's your prob...only thing i can think of fixing is grounding the wire better and just checking all the wires to the piggyback...one of the wires connecting piggyback to ecu may be shorting out like mines...fixing it, i was told by mechanic at dealership to try to put some type of insulation or something between the wires of the piggyback and the metal plate...

..or if you do have an xede take it to shiv and ask him to give you a new one and reinstall it better...i didnt bother since its hard to get a hold of them and i am getting a new engine management...

gluck...this is only for the speed sensor prob, i am not sure why your abs and your headlights arent going on, but the piggyback might be cause of that too....do you notice whether or not your car is going into a limp mode....i cant rev past 4k now, rev limiter is set to that rpm now which sucks...
Old 08-15-2006, 04:33 PM

I did check that earlier, and I can rev past 5k but not sure how much more. I currently have my ecu all pulled and **** and Im going to get a better ground and disconnect/reconnect all connections. hopefully this helps
Old 08-15-2006, 07:27 PM

Well, I'm dumb and missed a fuse. That happened to be fuse number 18 on the interior fuse box and it controls backup lights and cruise control. I replaced the fuse and it somehow fixed all of the other problems..... some ****ed up ****.