Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Car not starting properly

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:02 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
Car not starting properly

Over the weekend, I was at Oakridge. I was leaving and tried to start my car. It cranked three times and stopped. I tried it again and it just clicked once. The battery seemed OK because I could roll down the windows just fine and the headlights were fine too. I did not leave my headlights on.

I waited 20 minutes for the tow truck, when my brother told me to try to start it again. Sure enough, it started. I called AAA and cancelled the tow truck. It seemed to run fine going home.

This morning, it took about 4 cranks to start the car. Anyone have any suggestions one whats going on?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Car Info: nothing
can you list your mods if you have any? how many miles are on your car?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
sounds like your battery is taking a crap. It takes a LOT more crank to start the car than it does to operate the windows.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
If you're sure it's not the battery, try putting the key in the on position to let the fuel pump work it's magic, then after 10 seconds, start up the car.

My battery is starting to crap from not driving the car, so I try to start it once a week and let it idle.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Onizuka
If you're sure it's not the battery, try putting the key in the on position to let the fuel pump work it's magic, then after 10 seconds, start up the car.

My battery is starting to crap from not driving the car, so I try to start it once a week and let it idle.
yeah.

you should always click the car on and wait a second before starting it anyways. Lets the fuel pump push fuel into the lines.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
It's the battery. Have it checked.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:42 PM

thanks for the inputs

ill check my batts tonight and do the fuel pump thing if it doesnt start

65,xxx miles
utec stage 2 and k&n typhoon

i used to have a system (if it matters) but ripped it out. now i only have the deck in.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM VF34, 08 WRB FSXT
I have the same problem from time to time and came to the conclusion that its my lightened flywheel. it throws a p0335 which is a crankshaft position error and it also sometimes says p0301 p0302 p0303 and p0304 which are misfire codes but the car runs perfectly fine. I have an act clutch and flywheel. hope that helps if any.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 PM

i just popped in a new battery and it seems to fix the problem.

i thought it could have been an alternator problem, but lucky it wasnt

Thanks again BAIC!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by WRXdavid
I have the same problem from time to time and came to the conclusion that its my lightened flywheel. it throws a p0335 which is a crankshaft position error and it also sometimes says p0301 p0302 p0303 and p0304 which are misfire codes but the car runs perfectly fine. I have an act clutch and flywheel. hope that helps if any.
that's crazy. I run the ACT flywheel with an exedy clutch and have never had an issue.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by WRXdavid
You need to check stuff more carefully -I had the same symptoms with only a clutch and flywheel and after a while burned an exhaust valve and needed major surgery.
- these misfire codes can come from fouled injectors which can lean out a cylinder causing it to burn too hot, or something else...

The crankshaft position error is also nothing to ignore, just because you think "the car runs fine" doesn't mean you aren't experiencing the lead-up to a serious motor problem, in my case that was exactly what happened....
Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by jimmy04wrx
i just popped in a new battery and it seems to fix the problem.

i thought it could have been an alternator problem, but lucky it wasnt

Thanks again BAIC!
Make sure the alternator is working.

Originally Posted by psoper
You need to check stuff more carefully -I had the same symptoms with only a clutch and flywheel and after a while burned an exhaust valve and needed major surgery.
- these misfire codes can come from fouled injectors which can lean out a cylinder causing it to burn too hot, or something else...

The crankshaft position error is also nothing to ignore, just because you think "the car runs fine" doesn't mean you aren't experiencing the lead-up to a serious motor problem, in my case that was exactly what happened....
Very few folks value proper diagnostic time.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM VF34, 08 WRB FSXT
Originally Posted by psoper

i've done alot of research about those codes. i've checked around and found that other people with the same type of setup were experiencing the same problems and throwing the same codes. one guy wasted over a couple grand just to find out that when he resurfaced his stock flywheel and put it back in the codes never came back. i've talked to noah at lic about it a while ago and he said it's a known problem for some cars using a lightened flywheel. said that it can be so light that the sensor doesn't even realize it's there.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Make sure the alternator is working.
I have an oil change due, so ill definitely have them take a look at it.