Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Black Sti...How hard to keep clean???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:14 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
its a black car, and since you have owned one for many a year, you already know what its like.

probably worse than white to take care of, if you want something without as much trouble go for the gravy metallic silver or blue.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally Posted by john steele
I have an 02 wrx black - swirl swirl........I looked at a new Java black Sti to compare it's new and my old paint. Under good light, I could see factory installed swirls that i could not see in the WRB paint (I'm sure they were there, just less visible). I felt alot better about my paint after looking at the new one.

Amen Brother. me=Java Black Pearl 04'= insane
I am actually taking it to a body shop and see how much it will be to wet sand, new clearcoat and finish. I am guessing 1000+ but it may be worth it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 2003 MBP WRX
Black is definitely my favorite color for a car, my last 3 have been black. But it certainly is a b*tch to take care of. Swirl marks after every wash no matter what you do. I have a hard time even getting it to dry nice with my crappy well water. If I don't want streaks I basically have to wax it after every wash. I plan on getting it detailed soon with a '6 month wax' just to help rid myself of some of the swirls. If I had to get another color, it would be white. I think white rexex look plain sexy for some reason.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:10 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Swirl marks on my 04' STi after ONE wash. Those that know me know that i keep my car immaculate and don't like to halfass it when it comes to cleaning my car (as described by my 3 day detail sessions every 3 months)

Its not only black paint, its cheap subaru black paint.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:37 AM

Car Info: Black Car
Don't pay to wetsand your car. You can use a Random Orbital to buff it out. These buffers are perfectly safe and idiot proof. They won't induce any scratches. I removed 80% of my dealer installed scratches on my black car. (Not 90+% because i was lazy.) Just make sure you learn how to wash and dry your car properly and youll be fine. (Please don't take the car to an automatic washer place...)
Old 08-06-2004, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by y0gfx
Don't pay to wetsand your car. You can use a Random Orbital to buff it out. These buffers are perfectly safe and idiot proof. They won't induce any scratches. I removed 80% of my dealer installed scratches on my black car. (Not 90+% because i was lazy.) Just make sure you learn how to wash and dry your car properly and youll be fine. (Please don't take the car to an automatic washer place...)
I wash my car by hand once a week. I use lint free 100% cotton towels that cost me a quite a bit for towels i also wash them after each use and i change towels frequently while washing id say probably about 10 to wash and 3 to dry. I also have a culigan water filter on my hose to reduce water spots. I wax every three months. About 1 month after i bought the car i had it detailer and buffed to remove the common dealer installed scratches. They got most of them out. but it still seems to be bad. When the car is clean it looks great. The only thing that i hate is pulling up to another newer black car and seeing how good that looks compared to mine. I just think that the Subaru paint is not that great. I kinda new that before i bought but i still love the car. and am willing to deal with it.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:36 AM

Trust me. The swirls on your car are MINOR!
check this out.
BLACK CARS ARE DEFINITELY HARD TO TAKE CARE OF, but.
This post made me realize that it just takes time and effort to keep your black car clean.
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=32495
ITS NOT IMPOSSIBLE!

And when you think that you are stuck w/ your swirls...
THIS inspired me to get a buffer.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...336#post371336

Some of the guys on that forum use some high grade products, BUT i personally removed my swirls w/ the buffer and some Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish (available at your local kragen pepboys autozone.) Topped with Meguiars NXT Tech Wax, it came out really great. Browse through autopia and you'll learn a LOT.

(TO MODS: SORRY FOR MAKING REFERENCES TO OTHER BOARDS.)
Old 08-06-2004, 01:38 AM

Oops, sorry that lost post featured a car that was done by a ROTARY.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=42042
This one was done by a RANDOM ORBITAL (which again, is totally safe for your paint)
Old 08-06-2004, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the links man. I've got a lot of reading to do now. I'll give it a shot before i take it to the body shop. Thanks again.