Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Hard clunking under hard braking or hard bumps!!!

Old 07-10-2005, 12:24 PM

Car Info: '07 STI
Unhappy Hard clunking under hard braking or hard bumps!!!

I have some Cusco Zero2r coilovers, and i'm not sure if that's the reason, but i'm experincing some major major clunks when i brake hard or when i go over some nasty bumps. is it possible that it's the preload? anyone ever have this problem and fixed it by re-adjusting the preloads? thanks for all help!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
I know its kinda obvious, but is the nut that is holding the damper in properly torqued? I believe it should be on the top for inverted struts, the big one in the center. Mine wasn't properly torqued on my buddy club ones and the damper was able to move a little, dragging the nut and banging it against the top of the shaft.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:53 PM

hmm.... never checked that, so i'll double check, but i dont thing that could be it. anyone else with ideas/comments?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:45 PM

Car Info: 07 Silver Mazdaspeed 3
also check your endlinks on the swaybars. I blew the berrings out of a set of perrins and had a bad clunck over bumps.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:20 AM

checked the bolt on top of the camber plates, they're fine. checked sway bar endlinks, they're fine, using stock endlinks. checked perrin pssr, that's fine....

and the clunking continues.... HELP!!!

is it a possibility that it might be my Do-Luck floor support bars??
Old 07-12-2005, 11:38 AM

make sure that your calipers are tight

this happened on my race car once and it turned out that the carier was a little loose and everytime i braked when it clamped on the disc it rotated a little and slammed into the carrier.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 AM

if you're talking about the bolts that hold the calipers to the hubs, they're tight. anyone else...?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 AM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza RS
Originally Posted by dunnojack
checked the bolt on top of the camber plates, they're fine. checked sway bar endlinks, they're fine, using stock endlinks. checked perrin pssr, that's fine....

and the clunking continues.... HELP!!!

is it a possibility that it might be my Do-Luck floor support bars??
I installed AGX's myself and had a shop tighten the bolts properly to shop that clunk. While the rear seats were out, I noticed my damn spoiler make a clunking noise too. I don't slam the trunk, but notices a little rattle. Over sharp bumps, CLUNCKIDY CLUNK!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:09 PM

no...i dont think it's my trunk because this clunking is definetly coming from the bottom of my car and i can feel it everytime it clunks.... i checked my coilovers, and they seem fine. i now have a feeling that it might be because everytime i brake, the rear either squats or lifts and it's clunking with the do-luck floor support bars...
Old 07-15-2005, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza RS
I wish I could help you buddy
Old 07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
I think the noise is just something that comes with owning coilovers. Serious. I have been doing searches on multiple forums, and nobody has ever came up with a true answer as to what causes the clunking or how to fix it.

If your noise only comes when you go over bumps or brake hard, it could be the strut bottoming out, and you need to either tighten up your springs, or your dampening rate. My coilover noise comes when I drive at slow, parking-lot speeds (full parking lots ) and only happens on days above 80 degrees. Try explaining that one. HKS suggests a repack of both front struts. Maybe you could contact Cusco for your answer. I am sure you aren't the only one that has had a noise problem with their coilovers.