Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Slight shimmy under braking at 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 11:52 AM

Slight shimmy under braking at 60 mph

Recently noticed a slight instability (steering wheel shakes a little) when moderately braking from around 50-60 mph.

No shimmy when braking really hard or braking at slower speeds.

The pads themselves look OK... front rotors are grooved (but they have been grooved since day one).

Any suggestions please?
Old 12-26-2002, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Re: Slight shimmy under braking at 60 mph

Originally posted by Ichiro
Recently noticed a slight instability (steering wheel shakes a little) when moderately braking from around 50-60 mph.

No shimmy when braking really hard or braking at slower speeds.

The pads themselves look OK... front rotors are grooved (but they have been grooved since day one).

Any suggestions please?
Get your tires balanced and your alignment checked (not redone). You probably through a weight. Also examine the tread and make sure it is uniform across the width of each tire and the same on all 4. This should take care of it. About the only way to warp your rotors is to either get them near red-hot and park it for a while, or get them really hot and drive through a big puddle and splash them (quite possible about now of course). I'd bet it's a weight though. You can just look closely at te rims, including the inside bead, and probably see where one would be missing.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:37 PM

Thanks!

I probably should get the tires balanced regardless, but if it were an unbalanced tire wouldn't I also notice it during acceleration or cruising on the highway (which I don't) ?

I have aftermarket 17" wheels which came mounted with tires and no weights at all (vendor claimed the tire were perfectly balanced without any extra weights).
Old 12-26-2002, 06:29 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
You'd only notice it during certain speed ranges, regardless of whether it was acceleration or braking. And what company sold you the wheels? I can go along with one wheel not needing weights, but no way in hell they got all 4 right the first time.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:58 AM

I got the wheels/tires from Evolution in Wisconsin about 10K miles ago ... tire pressure & treadwear are OK. I'm going to get them re-balanced today.

So it's really unlikely all 4 were self-balanced?

Do tires need re-balancing as they wear down anyway?

Romanom (I remember you from the old i-club as the brake expert):

No hard braking or even a car chase recently ...
Can I get the rotors turned at any decent shop or does it require special equipment / skill?