Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

rattle heard during hard cornering or over bumps (was: Rattled)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 04 Sti
rattle heard during hard cornering or over bumps (was: Rattled)

Just traded my bone stock 04 STI for a decently modded 04 STI. It's lowered with springs- no coilovers (yet), 18 SSR's wrapped in BFG's, Turbo back exhaust, BOV, killer stereo, radar jamming equipement- basically everything is done except for the GT35 and Cobb 2. Supposedly putting around 375 to the ground- I'm not sure, there is no way to verify due to no AWD dyno on the island. But I'm very happy with it overall- very quick.

The only problem is there is a rattle in back. I checked the spare tire- not it. The jack isn't it either. Nothing moving around in the trunk at all. It's driving me crazy. I pulled the back seat and checked to make sure everything on the rear suspension was tight too, nothing is loose underneath either. You can only hear it on bumps and sometimes during hard cornering. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Car Info: His: 2006 WRB WRX Hers: 2005 CGM FXT
Originally Posted by kbaysti
Just traded my bone stock 04 STI for a decently modded 04 STI. It's lowered with springs- no coilovers (yet), 18 SSR's wrapped in BFG's, Turbo back exhaust, BOV, killer stereo, radar jamming equipement- basically everything is done except for the GT35 and Cobb 2. Supposedly putting around 375 to the ground- I'm not sure, there is no way to verify due to no AWD dyno on the island. But I'm very happy with it overall- very quick.

The only problem is there is a rattle in back. I checked the spare tire- not it. The jack isn't it either. Nothing moving around in the trunk at all. It's driving me crazy. I pulled the back seat and checked to make sure everything on the rear suspension was tight too, nothing is loose underneath either. You can only hear it on bumps and sometimes during hard cornering. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks in advance.
i'd check the wing. mine makes some rattling noises every now and then...
Old 01-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Check your exhaust near the closest point to the chassis or suspension. The catback on my WRX will move enough to hit the chassis near the rear diff when I go over bumps. I'm using the regular Kartboy exhaust hangers but might try the longer ones in the future.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 PM

Car Info: 04 Sti
Found It!!!

FOUND IT!!!

Apparently the previous owner put on a Perrin drop kit but kept the stock shocks. The shocks were loose causing a rattling noise. Adjusting the rear anti-sway bar a 1/4 inch higher did the trick. Now all I have to do is save up the 9 hundred bucks for the Tein coilovers for a permanant fix.

Thanks for the input though. Greatly appreciated.