Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

sti a muscle car ? what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Yenko did GM stuff. They certainly weren't the only AM supplier, but were one of the best.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:23 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
There were several other Chevy dealerships that offered Corvette engine swaps into the Nova/Camaro chassis (same chassis) in the late '60s.

I recall Hot Rod Magazine featuring an article on a Nickey Chevrolet Chevy Nova with a transplanted Corvette L-88 427, which was a relatively simple swap using factory engine mounts designed for the SS396 option.

I also have a booklet published around 1970 by Baldwin Chevrolet and that dealership also did potent engine swaps with modified big-block engines in various states of tune. One photo stands out in memory because it depicts one young man who worked for the dealership in their high-performance department but the caption says he was killed while serving in Vietnam.

However, to my knowledge none of these dealerships were contracted by Chevrolet to produce RPO (regular production option) factory cars like the L-88 Corvette or the Z-28 Camaro that could be ordered and purchased at any Chevrolet dealership.

Chevrolet had an in-house skunkworks team called the Special Products division that developed specialized race pieces most notably for the SCCA Trans-Am series in the late '60s. Officially, GM had enacted a ban on racing but Chevrolet put a guy named Vince Piggins in charge of the developing pieces like cross ram long-runner intake manifolds that mounted twin Holley four-barrels in a staggered pattern for increased mid-range torque from their 5.0 liter Trans-Am engine. Pics of the manifold and special cold air cowl induction hood that mated to it can be seen on this page.

Mopar had their own high-performance program and always maintained a catalog of parts that could be purchased through select Direct Connection Dodge and Plymouth dealerships. Later they changed the name to a more recognizable Mopar Performance and sold lots of engine and chassis upgrades for both older rear drive muscle cars and their turbocharged Omni and other FWD cars (as well as v-8 trucks and Jeeps).

I don't know much about Ford during that time period since most of my experience was with the Chevelle and Camaro.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-29-2005, 07:49 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Cool

Having owned 2 muscle cars (78 volare' 318ci and a 71 Barracuda 360ci) and 2 subarus (02 2.5rs and an 03 wrx) I would have to say they are totally different cars in every way. Muscle cars just have a "raw torque" power feel to them, unlike a turbo car that has more of a distinct power band (due to lag) Even my rs didnt have that "raw torque" feel. Muscle cars feel "loose" on the road, its more of a point and shoot in a straight line kind of feel. I guess its hard to explane unless you've actually driven a car like that from the 60's or 70's. I sold my muscle cars for subarus because i wanted something more practicle, something i could drive year round (North East). Subaru offered the best bang for the buck, AWD, Fast, Great cornering-something i knew nothing about, muscle cars dont corner well. I love my WRX, I would'nt trade it for anything but an STI, but i would'nt say they are muscle cars.

To me muscle cars were an era, early 60's to mid 70's. I dont really consider any new car a muscle car. They might have all the criteria to be one, but they dont have that old muscle car feel.