Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

first wrx modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:15 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Skip the bov

IMO I'd skip the bov. If you are looking for a louder "pshaaawww" sound just remove the snorkus and install an ic "y" pipe. This will really make the sound of your stock bov more pronounced. This sound will become even more pronounced later when you install a turboback and uppipe... A small, but added benefit is that you will get a bit faster spool time and about 5 extra horse power or so. You can buy Samco or Perrin for about $120.

As far as the bov, skip it. Essentially by installing an aftermarket bov on your stock car, you are blowing off all your boost, which in turn blows out extra gas and power. Most guys who run bov's end up running 50/50 anyway which is the same as stock... so unless you're putting in a fat turbo, it's not worth the money. Most tuners agree that unless you are running 400hp you don't need an aftermarket bov.

IMO on the cheap side I'd start with a rear sway bar and endlinks. If you want to go more spendy replace your wheels and tires.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i did rear way i hsould have done the clear front bra

but im happy with the sway
Old 06-01-2005, 04:06 AM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
debadge it!!!
I know you payed extra for the wrx but if you advertise it you get alot of jurks that just want a fight... That and badges look ugly!! IMO
Old 06-01-2005, 07:31 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Bump for sigmi pi, he's right, do a clear bra for the car as a first mod. Very non bling but will keep your car lookin nice. I got one a month after getting the car and it was well worth it. It has saved me many a paint chip on my hood.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:39 PM

i think i might do the clear bra first. im putting about 44 fwy miles on my car every day. even though its not a lot of miles, i think it would be the smart thing to do. as far as performance modifications go, im gonna get some lowering springs. any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:51 PM

personally, I don't do much in the way of modding,

but I have a friend that has spent 1000s modding his WRX wagon
and he SWEARS that the best mod he has done yet
is to get new shifter bushings (not sure if that's the exact/correct terminology)
I think he got Cobb ones
he said it was the most noticable mod he's done performance-wise,
and he said it was quite cheap AND very easy to install...

I am not technically inclined by any means, so this is NOT an explanation
from me, but I did find some more detailed info about the shifter bushings
and what they do (FYI)

They keep the fenuber valve from welding shut. This can happen if the car has been running hot and you've been shifting a lot. See, the fenuber valve usually only needs to open if you're running hot and in the same gear for a while. So if you've been shifting, the fenuber valve will stay shut. Do that long enough, and it can actually weld closed. And we all know that can spell disaster. So the shifter bushings will actually cause the fenuber valve to open a tiny little bit every so often even when it's not necessary. That keeps the air flowing through it a tiny bit, which is enough to keep it from welding.

just thought I would pass that along....

Last edited by revit; 06-03-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:14 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
i just ordered my Kartboy shifter bushings, im very excited! the first mod i did was silencer delete and a k&n air filter. it sounds good and i like to know my cars breathing a lil better. next i did little simple things and im gettin my cat-back exhaust i just ordered in a couple days. but once im done with the full exhaust (catback, Dp,Up, and maybe greddy manifold) im focusing the next couple months on suspenion upgrades and probably brakes.