Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant issues. Possible head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Wrx
Originally Posted by mistaanime
check for any signs around the radiator...hoses, cracks, reservoir..

look for any steam or leaks.

how many miles do you have on the car?

and that Coolent Condiditoner isn't going to help you if you have a crack or a leak somewhere. you'll just be tossing away money buying it.

if you are due for a major maintanence (timing belt, water pump...etc) you should check for leaks around the water pump pulley. It maybe going out. Its kind of diffcult to explain with out actually seeing. If you don't want to do the work im pretty sure dbtuned (FTW motorsports) can take a look...i think paul still runs the show there. not sure, i haven't been there in awhile.
That's where I took it today. He said he doesn't think it's a head gasket leak or blown head gasket cause I'm not overheating anymore. He tightened some hoses and told me to report back if anything seems weird. He didn't smell any coolant either.

Also, he said he would do my timing belt, water pump, cam seals/shaft and some other minor things like oil change and coolant for maximum $1200. He said it could be less than that if he gets in there and the cam seals are fine, etc.

I've heard good things about this place, (FW Motorsports) but I just read a few really bad reviews on Yelp as well. I don't know who to trust
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Originally Posted by behradsays
Sacramento, CA
No need to take it to multiple mechanics. Take it to FW Motorsports in Roseville. Paul won't scam you, he may not be a sweetheart, but he won't scam you.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
You got Pm'd.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Paul at FW said he doesn't think it's a HG leak or a blown gasket because I'm not overheating anymore. He tightened a few hoses that were loose and told me to try it out and check the coolant. He seemed pretty certain that the head gaskets are fine.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM

Paul was pretty certain it wasn't the head gaskets.
He tightened some loose hoses and told me to keep an eye on it but it should be fine. He said the reservoir should fluctuate a bit anyway.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by behradsays
Paul was pretty certain it wasn't the head gaskets.
He tightened some loose hoses and told me to keep an eye on it but it should be fine. He said the reservoir should fluctuate a bit anyway.
depends what u mean ur understand as fluctuates. Your coolant should be at the very bottom of your resevoir tank when your engine is cold. it will be topped off when the engine is hot. anything other than that it could be a bad rad cap, thermostat, water pump, head gasket. goodluck bro!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Give the conditioner a shot. I got it for $1.75 at my local dealership.