Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Coolant issues. Possible head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Wrx
Coolant issues. Possible head gasket?

Hey guys

So, if I have a head gasket leak, does that always mean I have to replace everything? Can a leak be fixed any other way?

I'm losing coolant. Not sure where or how. I don't see it leaking from underneath the car, so I'm assuming it's burning..?

I have no white smoke so I don't think it's a full on "blown" head gasket.

Any advice?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
If you truly have a headgasket leak, you will have to pull your motor, take the heads off and have it sent out to a machine shop and have it resurfaced. the minimum gasket would consist of head gaskets x2, valve cover gaskets x2, spark plug seals x4, half moon seals x4, intake manifold gasket x2, exhaust manifold gasket x2, up pipe gasket x1, down pipe gasket x1, coolant, oil. That is probably the minimum you'd have to replace.

Now normally since your there, you would want to think about your timing belt, water pump, oil pump, cam seals, crank seals, misc idler pulleys. Its only smart to replace those now since you are there rather then wait 10-15k miles to perform the service only to have to pay a ridiculous amount in labor. that is my advice if you believe you have a head gasket leak issue.

Now are you sure its not leaking anywhere? There can be a small leak that eventually drains the system out or possibly even a small leak into the combustion chamber and its so small that you dont notice the smoke?

Also be very wary about coolant getting to low since that last thing you want to do is over heat your car and possibly damage your cylinder heads or even warp your block.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Good advice ^
Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
I've read a thread where a guy was loosing coolant and he used the Subaru coolant conditioner and his problem stopped. Don't know how severe his issue was, or yours, but it might be worth a shot to add a bottle and top off the coolant.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 PM

Well, I filled my radiator up with coolant then filled my reservoir till like an inch above the full line. The next day, I drove about 5-7 miles and when I checked it, the reservoir tank was halfway between full and empty.
I don't know where it was at before i started driving. I should have checked, but at that time, I had no suspicions of a leak or any loss of coolant at all.

The reason I filled it originally was because a few days before, my car was overheating when I would idle for too long (yes, fan was working). This led me to think I was low on coolant, hence why I filled it.

Also, side note: my water pump, timing belt, pulleys and cam seals are all due for a change as it is. Those are getting done next week.

So, it's possible my coolant is leaking from a hose somewhere? And it's so minute I just don't notice it on the ground? Or it's dripping somewhere onto the engine and burning off?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by jdblock
I've read a thread where a guy was loosing coolant and he used the Subaru coolant conditioner and his problem stopped. Don't know how severe his issue was, or yours, but it might be worth a shot to add a bottle and top off the coolant.
Okay, cool. Is that something I can probably pick up at any auto part store, you think?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 PM

Also, I read about burping the system. Does that sound like it would apply in my situation?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
You only burp the system if you have air in the system from performing service s. So in your case no. But when you do find the issue and fix what is wrong then yes burp the system
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
You only burp the system if you have air in the system from performing service s. So in your case no. But when you do find the issue and fix what is wrong then yes burp the system
Alright. Thank you for the advice. Hopefully it isn't as bad as I think...
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by behradsays
Okay, cool. Is that something I can probably pick up at any auto part store, you think?

Subaru. Only at Subaru.

It really sounds like you need to let someone who knows what to look for, and has the correct tools, take a look at what the problem is.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Subaru. Only at Subaru.

It really sounds like you need to let someone who knows what to look for, and has the correct tools, take a look at what the problem is.
I'm definitely taking it to a few places to have it looked at, without a doubt!
I was just trying to get some ideas so I don't get jerked around by mechanics trying to rip me off.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Where are you located?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
it does indeed sound like you have an internal gasket leak. just like me. same exact syptoms. if you were to pull some of your coolant and test it for exhaust gases, i bet you it will show up as contaminated. You CAN replace HG without pulling motor, but its not really worth it in the long run. and xhengmanx stated, its best to pull everything out, replce vital and tricky to get to parts (water pump, oil pump, tensioner and idlers, pulleys, and gasket kit) this is what im doing. By doing this, i can expect my ODO to read 400k before next major service.

THere is also the debate that im still trying to find out. depending on how many miles you have, you MAY need to rebuild the entire long block if your are rebuilding and maching the heads (highly recommended). higher CR withthe rebuilt head will put stress on main and rod bearings....on a conventional I and V type blocks...but what about us? are wespecial?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
check for any signs around the radiator...hoses, cracks, reservoir..

look for any steam or leaks.

how many miles do you have on the car?

and that Coolent Condiditoner isn't going to help you if you have a crack or a leak somewhere. you'll just be tossing away money buying it.

if you are due for a major maintanence (timing belt, water pump...etc) you should check for leaks around the water pump pulley. It maybe going out. Its kind of diffcult to explain with out actually seeing. If you don't want to do the work im pretty sure dbtuned (FTW motorsports) can take a look...i think paul still runs the show there. not sure, i haven't been there in awhile.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Where are you located?
Sacramento, CA

Quick Reply: Coolant issues. Possible head gasket?