Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Am I hurting my rex?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 11:03 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow Am I hurting my rex?

Well,

Finally getting LOTS of snow here in PA :-) Like any other person I like to have "fun" with my car... I really don't abuse my car or drive hard at all... Actually, I drive it kind of like an old person drives, I shift at 3500rpm for first to second, after that it's around 3000rpm or maybe 3100rpm... I will sometimes go up to 4-5rpm when I am feeling like having fun with the car, but that might only be once, twice a week if that...

Now that we have some snow after work we have a LARGE parking lot... so me and a friend that as a monty carlo decided to do some doughnuts... Am I hurting my car when I am doing this? Meaning am I ruining it in some way... That's the last thing I want to do is hurt the car, I had a blast doing some doughnuts tonight in the parking lot.

When I was doing the doughnuts in the parking lot I was in first gear and it was at about 4k rpm.. is this bad?

Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 12-14-2003, 11:47 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Anything you're doin' stuff with your car, you're "hurting" your car. More like wearing it down then hurting it. It's really easy, just think of it like if you always shift at 6k rpm, and the other guy is shiftin' at 3k. Of course the 3k RPM will be better in the long term xxx,xxx miles. I really think you're fine. People do a lot worse in scoobs and I haven't heard much of stock engines blowing up from things like that. Some people do some worser things. haha have fun.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:18 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Dont fully crank the wheel while doin doughnuts. It is bad for your power steering pump.

nick
Old 12-15-2003, 02:18 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
your fine, enjoy. the damage done is minimal if at all and ultimately the enjoyment is more than worth it.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
If you can afford the tire wear, don't worry about it.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:25 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
the only that can happen is like mentioned above, having your steering wheel locked in either direction for a long time can cause damage to your power steering pump
Old 12-15-2003, 03:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
nigel ive read many of your posts...you take EXCELLENT care of your car...you should hit redline once in a while at least IMO...you have a performance car so make it perform once in a while at least...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:51 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

Originally posted by wrxwagon2b
HEHE during the snow the Tires wont really get worn out compared to doing doughnuts on a dry asphalt. Remember you bought the car and ultimately ur paying for it. HAVE FUN you only live once. I want you to drive wild for just one week. Shift at no less than 4500rpm and have a blast man/woman.

I hate when ppl by performance versions of cars and Drive like there driving Ms. Daisy.

GUN THE ***** MAN... She will show you the best loving when you do!

just my .02

:banana: Yeah Baby! Yeah!:banana:

LoL :-p

Great stuff! Actually I think I will drive the car a "little" harder once I get my turbo back exhaust with an rfl muffler and a stage two utec... THEN I will probably drive it so I can hear the engine... right now as the car is stock it is very quiet... so it really doesn't do anything for me to drive it past 4rpm because it sounds like the car is killing itself..lol When I hear others on the boards here and when I go to meets and see and hear other people's rex's with exhausts it sounds so awesome!

Tires... I'm not too worried about those, I don't do burn outs or will ever try dounuts on anything other than snow.

I will not have the wheel turned all the way in now. It sure was fun though :-) I want to take the car in some mud before I put on the suspension that I have laying here in my basement... I can only imagine the fun that would be!

-Nigel
Old 12-15-2003, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 2003 Silver WRX Sedan, 1982 Corvette Collectors Ed.
Exhaust, suspension, and performance mods....and shifting at 3100 rpm....

ok whatever flutters your waste gate.....jk

I dont think I ever shift before 5k unless I am stuck in traffic.

Your car can handle all the fun you throw at it, and your turbo isnt even doing much under 3k.

Hit the throotle more, and you'll get perma-grin like the rest of us.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:56 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Originally posted by SuboobaruWRSEX
Dont fully crank the wheel while doin doughnuts. It is bad for your power steering pump.

nick
werd this happened to me... i feel like a n00b