Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: Should we teach evolution in schools?
Yes
52.63%
No
5.26%
Yes, with disclamer "It's just a theory"
15.79%
Other (Please explain)
26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Evolution Wars hurting our children?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Evolution Wars hurting our children?

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about what some religious people thought about teaching evolution in the classroom. Not to mention your stances.

Originally Posted by MSN
McCoy, who has won the Georgia “Outstanding Biology Teacher” award, is active in his Presbyterian church and also serves on the National Executive Board of the Presbyterian Association on Science, Technology and the Christian faith, is saddened by what he has seen in his classroom.

“Students face consequences if they choose to accept evolution in a family or a church or a community that patently rejects evolution ... It might affect whether you get a date to the prom, or whether you get that summer job or not,” McCoy said. “You may even anger close family members. Conversations about evolution can make family reunions very tense.”

Clare McKinney teaches biology and zoology at Jefferson High School in Lafayette, Indiana. She is also a Christian who has been on national news defending the teaching of evolution in the classroom.

McKinney explained why the debate over evolution versus creationism is appealing — and important — to children in her classes.

“For kids this age, fairness is a real issue. Many children, who are not even familiar with the sound evidence surrounding evolution, signed petitions to 'include' intelligent design because it seemed 'fair,'” said McKinney. That said, she also understands the pressure these children feel to “reconcile” their beliefs with science — she went through it herself.

According to McKinney, interested students have waited until they are outside the classroom to discuss what they perceive as “conflicting” views. “I have flat out told students that the more I know about science, the more glorious God seems,” said McKinney.

She stresses in her classroom that “science is not out to prove the presence or absence of God - whatever you believe, it’s OK," adding, “You can almost see the anxiety level diminish when I say that.”

But what concerns educators like Miller is whether this politicization of basic science dissuades children from going into the field.

Miller, an enthusiastic Catholic who wrote the book "Finding Darwin’s God: A Scientist’s Search for Common Ground between God and Evolution,” finds this troubling.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8074471/
Old 06-05-2005, 10:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
If it is to be taught (wich I'm not nescesarilly against) it should be reserved to higher education, til students are able to make educated decisions on thier own , put it in the same catagory as religion or philosophy, because after all, it is philosophy and not yet a proven science. (proven-science = oxymoron, that's why we call it the PRACTICE of medicine)
Old 06-06-2005, 08:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
They need to just make an elective subject on theology to make everyone happy. I mean it's not science, it's faith. They require biology and other sciences because unlike religion, science has a zillion times the amount of proof. Some books in science are closed for crying out loud.

Here's a great idea! How about being a good parent at home?! Instead of watching re-runs of NASCAR and Blue Collar Comedy Tour why don't you sit down with your child and crack the book you praise? You can teach your religion how you deem fit. You can be open about it and accept the fact your children may not accept your teachings and respect them and love them for that decision. OR you can feed spoonfuls of glorified crap down your kid’s throat about how praying and watching the 700 club is going to fix the world and your retarded brother who cannot walk or speak.

I have nothing against religion whatsoever but when people insist it be forced on others (someday my children) I get beet red in the face. It’s not that religion is wrong either. It’s just that science has so much proof we cannot overlook it in the slightest. Go find me the bones of every person in the bible and a part of the frame from Noah’s Ark. Then we’ll talk. I don’t want a piece of some old vessel either. I want you to use science to find Giraffe **** residue on the deck as well as the possible shape of the ship by looking at the one piece you find.

Last edited by Salty; 06-06-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I remember when I was taught evolution in High School, the teacher spent one hour (his whole timeslice with us for the day) discussing how evolution was just a theory and how learning about evolution didn't prove or disprove anything about theology or philosophy. As a self-styled man of science at that time, I kinda thought that day was ridiculious because we wasted so much time explaining what I thought was obvious.

I guess it isn't obvious to everyone, and that disappoints me.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
I think evolution fits within theologic creationism to a major extent. Scientists still don't try to claim that they know how a piece of rock turned into life, but only the notion that life adapts itself into different forms. If you see how different species have adapted to their food supply, predators, etc, it isn't too hard to comprehend that those who can adapt will survive.

Personally, I believe that some intelligent design started it out, and part of that design was evolution.

I think parents are responsible for teaching their children about the religious perspective on the issue, and I think evolution education should steer clear of things that have not been scientifically proven.

On another note, evolution is a racist theory, is it not? Sounds divisive
Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Well yeah, but those races aren't around anymore to complain, now are they?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by nKoan
Well yeah, but those races aren't around anymore to complain, now are they?
If all humans evolved from apes in africa, why do we all look so different? We are all supposed to be exactly the same, right?

Ahah, so how can we say equality = diversity, when diversity = differences.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Wink

Clearly your school didn't do a very good job of teaching evolution.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Clearly your school didn't do a very good job of teaching evolution.
Of course, we are ALL EXACTLY THE SAME. That's why diversity is perversity.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:57 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
I think evolution fits within theologic creationism to a major extent.
You need to learn more about evolution then. I find most people really have no clue as to the actual theory. Right now I live in Kansas and I'm embarrassed for my state. Fortunately I'm not from here. If you ask people who said "Survival of the fittest" I bet most would say Charles Darwin. Which is not true. (although later, he did say he wished he said it, but he didn't)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
wackononsense.pdf (164.0 KB, 333 views)

Last edited by Peaty; 06-08-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Of course, we are ALL EXACTLY THE SAME. That's why diversity is perversity.
I don't understand what you mean by this, I'll assume it's said in fun though.

I do think it's rediculous that the evolution vs creation is even an issue though. Even if we make the assumption that both creationism and evolution are equally valid theorys to be tested, creationism would not be taught in a science class room because of the lack of evidence. We don't teach our children about theories that don't have evidence for them. Like this one paper I read about how water has a collective inteligence written by a Princeton prof. Yes, it's a theory. And this guy had some 'data' for it. But noone else could substantiate the evidence.

So, based on a reasonable requirement for evidence, creationism can be classified as an unproven theory, an unDISproven theory, but certainly a theory that is unfit for disemination in the context of a science class.

Using the exact same logic, evolution can be said to be the theory about our origins that has the most evidence for it and the least evidence against it. So it can be classified as an unproven theory, an undisproven theory, but certainly a theory that has been tested and retested to the point that it falls well within the realm of scientific information.

Last edited by MVWRX; 06-08-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
I think religion should be saved as an elective for higher education, part of philosophy or mythology...lol.

Religion was created to control people. Not a bad thing. People do need to be controled to a certain extent.

When the unexplained happens it's either labled as a sign from God or the evil powers of satan. That is until our grasp of science catches up to us, then these mysteries are explained. That is how it's happened all throughout history. It all started with fire.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
I think religion should be saved as an elective for higher education, part of philosophy or mythology...lol.
Religion was created to control people. Not a bad thing. People do need to be controled to a certain extent.
When the unexplained happens it's either labled as a sign from God or the evil powers of satan. That is until our grasp of science catches up to us, then these mysteries are explained. That is how it's happened all throughout history. It all started with fire.
Well, often, people don't grasp true what is real and what matters until late in their lives. Are you saying that jesus is now some mythical being? More and more of what is in the bible is being and has been PROVEN by science and historical record.

Which part of it do you wish to ignore?

Last edited by HellaDumb; 06-10-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:02 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Basically everything. People who can't see the science of Evolution as the work of God are ignorant, and as such need the crutch of an all-wise book to find their intellectual solice.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
All of it.

Well, often, people don't grasp true what is real and what matters until late in their lives. Are you saying that jesus is now some mythical being? More and more of what is in the bible is being and has been PROVEN by science and historical record.

There is a lot of common sense stuff in the bible...the every day stuff. Im not saying Jesus was a mythical being. No, I'm sure that a guy named Jesus did exist. He was probably very charismatic like most leaders in history. But there is no way I'm going to believe that he healed the sick, was the son of God, or that he died for all our sins. I don't believe for a second that if I don't except Jesus in my heart that I'm going to burn in hell after Jesus returns to fight a holy war or bring his disciples back with him. I don't believe that there is a satan trying to take our souls or corrupt us because he's pissed at God.

Like I said though. Religion helps to control the masses. Keeps people in order. The bible tells people to live a good and kind life. That's not a bad thing. Fear Gods wrath. Be good or forever burn in hell. Hey, if I didn't know any better I'd be scared out of my wits about it. Apparently it works though. The churches in my town are located on some $$$prime$$$ realestate.

Quick Reply: Evolution Wars hurting our children?