Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Upgrade Speaker Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 03:07 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan, BRP
Green,

Those my friend, "GIving my self a lot of head room from a great amp, and give it the cleanest signal as I can" are very realistic goals!

Lazarus,

As others have already noted, it's MUCH easier to blow speakers with too little amplifier power than it is with too much power. Remember there is no standard for rating a speakers power handling capability. It's basically an educated guess for a range that the speaker will likely see in the average installation.

Also, many headunits, and power amps for that matter, publish "brochure specs" when it comes to power output in order to attract the consumer. As Green noted as one of his goals, headroom (the ability of an amplifier to deliver enough current from it's reserves during a musical peak) is what distinguishes good power amps from bad ones. By depending on only the amp in your headunit, you are significantly limiting your speakers and your system's capability.

Look at it from a strictly physical point of view. Do yuo actually think you can get the same "50W x 4" out of your little headunit as you could get out of a stand-alone "50W x 4" power amp??? Some compromises MUST be made by the engineer when desinging the amplifier stage for the headunit. The engineer working on the stand-alone power amp has a bigger box to work with, can utilize higher quality parts, etc.

All of that said, I've heard conservatively rated "50W" amps deliver FAR better sound quality with more headroom than some "100W" amps out there.

Good luck!
Bill
Old 02-10-2003, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input....the distortion was so awful and seemed to be a result of me "testing" how loud the thing could get...I just assumed it was too much juice....The speakers were from their Discus line which I think is pretty much the lowest tier of performance--unlike their "Q" series...which is much more expensive.
Either way...the addition of the amp and the Diamond speakers has worked out well...it just hurt to spend that much money on a speaker that was used for a week and is now useless....
Old 04-23-2003, 03:36 AM

Good sound can be had from an automotive environment. For your $500 limit I would buy a decent 2 channel amp and a good sub. Of course you have to figure in a wiring kit and line converter. The sub will definatley be the best improvement for your money.

PS about speakers sounding good in one car and crappy in another..this is absolutly true. BUT, one thing that can be done to improve the sound is too dynamat over all the holes in your inner door and install a V-Block behind the speaker. The V-Block diffuses the sound energy coming off the back of the speaker, and sealing off the holes creates a better "enclourse" for your speakers
Old 04-25-2003, 04:49 PM

Boston Pro's will fit with the right spacers....Rally's however will not
Old 05-13-2003, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Originally posted by Lazarus
I threw out my so-called "premium sound upgrade" the day I got the car...for $490 + $15 s/h I picked up a Pioneer Premier DEH-P940MP on eBay.
For another $130 (total) I got an MB Quart 6 1/2" component set (tweeters & crossovers)
And another $87 (total) I got a pair of MB Quart 4" for the rear...the whole thing cost a little more than $500 but is well worth it.
Damn man, where'd you pay that little for MB quarts?
and do ya have a link for some pics or something......you described the setup i thought about getting , except the head unit...
scott