Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

speaker suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 08:43 AM

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I put poineer 6.5 3-ways in the front and back door and they sound great. Alot more bass , better mid range sound(voices are really clear) and they are louder (I would have the stock headset at 10 or 11. now I have it at 6 or 7). They are only about $80 a pair and you can have bestbuy put them in for $32 a pair.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:00 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
After much debate with the people at the high end a/v store I have decided not to go with the Polk Momos because they are too deep and I would need to cut away the factory speaker grill to fit them in. Not worth it. The Boston Acoustic RA series componates or MB Quarts are not as deep. I would also need an amp to power them because the stock HU sucks. So now I need a new deck too because with the factory sub I might not be able to power the second amp and the amp with the stock HU would sound like poop still. SO now I need to save up for a flip up in dash TV before I get the speakers. This sucks. Factory HU's suck *****!
Old 11-09-2004, 03:29 PM

Circuit city has a sale on Infinity Speakers this week, buy one and get second 50% off. But i dont know if there are Circuit City stores in BC.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:34 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by yamaharacerx
Dude you don't get it. Having a alpine means you get better than average wattage thats why it's one of the best brands out there. You probably fiquire that you have to have an amp to power your 6.5" speakers but you don't if you can find a powerfull amp. MAny four channel amps produce that same watts as a very nice deck. Most amps will say the exact same wattage out puts as my alpine deck which is awsome becasue I know that having an alpine deck will actually give me about 25- 30 watts RMS which is way better than some cheap pioneer that says 45 and makes about 8.

So I am sorry for anybody who read the quote from Divinag because he has miss led you.

you know... it's been a while since i opened a car stereo related magazine where they actually test the RMS output of a head unit.

plus, for the past 15-20 years, all of my head units has always been a passive or non powered head...

oh shoot... lemme go dig up some old CAR AUDIO & ELECTRONICS (before they were sold to the the people who also owned AUTO SOUND and SECURITY) or maybe some CAR STEREO REVIEW issues...

hold on...

from the AUG 1992 (yes over 12 years old...) issue of CAR AUDIO & ELECTRONICS, on page 107, it lists a chart of 6 diff head units.

blaupunkt MALIBU head unit:

max output per channel in 2 channel mode:

12.5 v = 10
14.4 v = 13 watts.

now, this is is MAX output. not even RMS. and usually, a good rule of thumb is 50-60% of MAX will get you RMS.

now, what the heck does this have to do with the price of tea in china?

nothing really. this is what my knowledge comes from.

now imagine how BIG the amplifier section is of the standard 1 DIN sized head unit. even at half of the head unit, compare that to the size of a normal 25x2 RMS watt amp.

it's not even the same.

granted a great big portion of a standard amp is the heatsink.

one thing to consider is the wiring. using the OEM wiring harness, do you think that is enough "juice" to power a so called "60 watts" of a DIN sized head unit.

also, consider the the heat being generated by that amplifier. either it isnt generating that much heat (therefore less power) or the rest of the head unit is getting fried. take your pick.

oh heck... take a look at a review of another alpine head that also claims the 60x4 rating:

http://www.carsound.com/review_archi.../cda-7875.html

read the section about heat build up and about possible usage of the internal amps... i got a chuckle out of them.

look, in the end, not everyone has the money to afford external amps when building their system. good luck. like i said before, those ratings they print on the front face of the head units are just crap...

for me, i knew that internal amps of head units are basically useless. my first head unit was a sony 7400. a passive one. that was in 1985'ish. fast forward almost 20 years later, i'm using a head unit that i cant buy new anymore, a sony xr-c900. another passive unit. i installed this on my STi. so if anyone of you has this sitting in your closets, lemme know. i'll take it off your hands... lol...
Old 11-13-2004, 08:56 AM

Car Info: Hyundai Pony
looks like Idivinag ended that debate...lol anywho just an update, I've decided not to go for the kenwood amp, panasonic deck, and JL speakers... i actually found a place that carries the mb quarts but as i expected, they were too much $$... instead i've opted for phoenix gold speakers and amp (around same price as JL's and 100 more for amp..) with a pioneer deck.. should sound better thanks for the input though.. and by the way tdats, there are no circuit city locations in BC
Old 11-13-2004, 09:37 PM

ok i just got this thing installed and it sounds awesome.. but when I made a data cd on a cd-r with mp3 files, the first few tracks skipped like no tommorow while the next 20 tracks played flawlessly... however the rest simply refused to play.. this is about 5 minutes after making the data cd and there are no scratches what so ever on the cd... any ideas?
Old 11-14-2004, 03:58 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by amarpauld
ok i just got this thing installed and it sounds awesome..
and that in the end, is all what matters.... enjoy.

but when I made a data cd on a cd-r with mp3 files, the first few tracks skipped like no tommorow while the next 20 tracks played flawlessly... however the rest simply refused to play.. this is about 5 minutes after making the data cd and there are no scratches what so ever on the cd... any ideas?
try a diff brand cd. maybe you have a bad stack of cds.

sometimes, the color of the layer, gree, blue, silver, etc makes a diff.

also, try the cd in a home player, not the cd rom in the computer.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:53 PM

you were right... my car doesnt like the cooler black bottom disks, it prefers the old fashioned silver ones