Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

CB/Ham radio & antenna mounting options?

Old 10-07-2004, 07:17 PM

CB/Ham radio & antenna mounting options?

I just did a search, but I didn't find any info on mounting two-way radios or antennae in/on a WRX.

I just got a 2005 WRX Wagon and I want to install my Uniden PC76XL CB radio, but I'd like to avoid drilling the side of the center console on the passenger side. That is where I have the CB installed in my 91 Mazda Protege right now. I didn't care about two holes in the console plastic on that car. Here are a couple of pictures of the slightly smaller Cobra 25WX LTD in the Mazda:

Also, what is a good antenna mount that I won't have to drill for? I don't want to use a magnetic-mount antenna, so I was thinking of using an adjustable lip-mount on the tailgate, but I'm not sure which ones will fit best on the WRX wagon tailgate. I have a 5' Wilson Silverload fiberglass antenna right now, but I'd consider getting a thinner steel whip to reduce stress on the mount and tailgate.

The owner's manual says to consult a Subaru dealer before installing CB and Ham radios as they may interfer or damage sensitive equipment in the car. Has anyone asked a dealer about CB or Ham radio installation? What did they say? Have you had any trouble with operating the two-way radio?

Thanks for your help! I miss talking to the truckers on my daily commute
Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 PM

I had a CB mounted in the same place in my WRX and had little interference (sometimes I did notice it while accelerating). I had a trunk lip mount antenna. I just traded the WRX for an 05 LGT and am going to get a new CB that has all the controls in the mic (which will sit in the consiole and out of view). I'm debating on whether to use the same antenna but am leaning toward a glass mount despite the decline in performance.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:58 PM

Cool! You're talking about the the Cobra 75WX ST, I think, right?

I was thinking of getting one of those also, but I have a nicely tuned Uniden that I have gotten used to and I like my Astatic Road Devil mic

When you mounted the CB, did you drill the side of the console? I have had my car for about 27 hours and I can't bring myself to do so much as get the drill within 10 feet of the car! What lip mount did you use? Was it adjustable and did it provide a good ground? What was your SWR? What antenna did you use? Do you have any pictures?

I want to see if I can use a stainless whip in the 60" range instead of my current fiberglass whip. Do you think that I would be able to cut down a 102" stianless whip to get it within a manageable height?

Sorry for the barrage of questions
Old 10-15-2004, 01:48 AM

Car Info: sti wrb
who is in the OC area and has a CB hooked up?