Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

aftermarket alarm vs. subaru factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 03:00 PM

aftermarket alarm vs. subaru factory alarm

I recently bought a 2005 WRX Sport Wagon (in Crystal Gray Metallic) and it didn't have the security system upgrade option included, just the keyless entry. Couple questions, my keyless entry fob is different from my friends' 2004 fobs. Is the difference because of model years or my lack of the security system? Also, is it better to go with an aftermarket alarm system (ie. Clifford) or to get the factory security system upgrade? Can someone tell me the pros and cons of both situations? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The answer may depend on where you live and whether theft of Subarus is a problem in your area. The factory system has the advantage of being a plug-and-play installation that you can do yourself in about an hour, no wiring or warranty issues to worry about. The downside is that it doesn't protect the car all that well, especially if you have a manual transmission. The starter kill does not prevent the car from being started by pushing, which is how a large number of cars with the factory alarm have been stolen in the NY/NJ area. It is possible to make the factory alarm more secure with some additions such as a fuel kill and hood switch.
An aftermarket alarm may have more features, however the installation is as important as the alarm itself. A less expensive/fancy alarm with a good, careful installation may be more effective than a poorly installed top-of-the-line one.