Wrecked tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by shawnpdillon
Hate to say it, guys, but more cars are going to HAVE to be hybrids now (at least in the US anyways). I seriously doubt that cars will drive like the STI if they make 35mpg... unless it's the Tesla roadster, and that makes the new STI prices everyone's been b1tching about look cheap...
Actually, they can get a ton of power out of the hybrids and out of hydrogen vehicles. Right now though, it's less expensive to wring out a buttload of power from a big v8 with a supercharger than it is to make a hybrid do that kind of power (if they could get it that high with current tech) and hydrogen vehicles aren't feasible yet since there are not enough fueling stations.

The cool thing about hydrogen and hybrid vehicles is how low they can get the torque. In Sacramento there's a hydrogen fuel partnership between manufacturers, and on some Fridays they do tours of the facility. They tell you about current policy, current technology, what they're doing and working towards, then take you out and take you for a spin in a hydrogen vehicle. At the time I went, which was a couple years ago, they had a hydrogen Toyota Highlander. The guy that was doing the tour was talking with me and he told me one major problem they had was that these cars develop so much torque (and that they have it across the entire revband), when they first built it they couldn't start off without chirping the tires.

We'll get there. I think by the time they mandate hydrogen or hybrid vehicles (or whatever they standardize on), the technology will be far enough along to have some great cars still.