Sacramento Crackdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 05:56 PM

Car Info: 2001 Transmaro SS
Originally Posted by Scott@S-Squared
I am looking at a 97 or 98 Z28

I can sell my STi and pay for one right out I believe
You could probably by two 97 Z's... I am buying this one because I already had one, same year, some color, same options and it was the only car I ever truly regretted selling from the day I sold it. I will have 3 cars though now, not good...
Old 08-05-2005, 06:00 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by Scott@S-Squared
I am looking at a 97 or 98 Z28

I still live in the 80's
Old 08-05-2005, 06:13 PM

Car Info: puppy hauler
no more suby for you?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I can't wait till they pull over Josey and try to **** with her for the intake. And then she points out the C.A.R.B approved sticker with number

Hope I don't get ****ed with for my tint.

/me relies on the wagon factor
Old 08-05-2005, 06:23 PM
VIP Member

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.
Guess I'd better get that prescription written up double time
Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Aspin '02 WRX sedan
good thing that under my hood looks stock =)
Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
get me one too.. the Z wont look good without tinted windows
Old 08-05-2005, 06:36 PM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
Z???!??!??!?? where's your pride...

only rock a Trans Am w/ the pheonix on the hood and the ram air scoops...
has to have faded black paint (like there's any other color).
Old 08-05-2005, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by N600
Z???!??!??!?? where's your pride...

only rock a Trans Am w/ the pheonix on the hood and the ram air scoops...
has to have faded black paint (like there's any other color).
Dude, they came with GOLD paint... which is also faded.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
I wonder if school zones are going to be patrolled now??? Rumor has it some people like to race in them.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Drag-Net

(from sac-bee.com)

Sacramento city police and other Sacramento county law enforcement agencies have been selected as the first in the state to receive special training on how to catch street racers with souped-up cars.
Announcing a $5 million federal grant Wednesday, state and local officials vowed to crack down more on speeders, and especially young drivers who illegally alter their engines to make them faster.

"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.

The event took place a few hundred feet from where Kimberly Marie Wheeler, 40, was hit and killed by a 19-year-old street racer on a June weekday afternoon as she left work.

The state's top transportation official, Business, Transportation & Housing Secretary Sunne Wright McPeak, called Wheeler's death an example of "a needless incident that has to be stopped."

Officers representing most law enforcement agencies in Sacramento County will be trained on ways they can legally stop a car they suspect has been illegally modified, then how to look for and recognize illegal modifications, officials said.

Those officers then will train others in their departments on how to spot and check out illegal engines, and on what citations they can write.

Notably, owners of illegally modified cars can be cited for failing to meet state emissions standards, which can lead to fines and fees of more than $2,000, said Gregory Sloan, a San Diego city police officer who will conduct the training.

The program funded by the grant is called Drag-Net. The program also includes increasing efforts to find out where street racing occurs and to crack down on the races.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Fight against street racing gets a boost
A $5 million grant will train officers how to spot, legally stop souped-up cars.
By Tony Bizjak -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, August 4, 2005
Story appeared in Metro section, Page B3
Get weekday updates of Sacramento Bee headlines and breaking news. Sign up here.

Sacramento city police and other Sacramento county law enforcement agencies have been selected as the first in the state to receive special training on how to catch street racers with souped-up cars.
Announcing a $5 million federal grant Wednesday, state and local officials vowed to crack down more on speeders, and especially young drivers who illegally alter their engines to make them faster.

"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Deputy Police Chief Steve Segura said during a news conference on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.

The event took place a few hundred feet from where Kimberly Marie Wheeler, 40, was hit and killed by a 19-year-old street racer on a June weekday afternoon as she left work.

The state's top transportation official, Business, Transportation and Housing Secretary Sunne Wright McPeak, called Wheeler's death an example of "a needless incident that has to be stopped."

Officers representing most law enforcement agencies in Sacramento County will be trained in ways they can legally stop a car they suspect has been illegally modified, then how to look for and recognize illegal modifications, officials said.

Those officers then will train others in their departments on how to spot and check out illegal engines, and on what citations they can write.

Notably, owners of illegally modified cars can be cited for failing to meet state emissions standards, which can lead to fines and fees of more than $2,000, said Gregory Sloan, a San Diego city police officer who will conduct the training.

The program funded by the grant is called Drag-Net.

The program also includes increasing efforts to find out where street racing occurs and to crack down on the races.

Law enforcement officials said they are uncertain if illegal street racing is on the rise.

Sloan of San Diego and Sacramento Undersheriff John McGinness both characterize street racing as an ongoing public safety problem for decades.

"It's been alive and well in San Diego for 50 years," Sloan said.

McGinness said, however, street racers in the past tended to race more in outlying rural areas, but now more are doing it often in populated areas.

Chris Murphy, head of the state Office of Traffic Safety, said his sense, although only anecdotal, is that more people are modifying their engines to make them faster, and that there are more street-racing related crashes.

Wheeler's family attended the announcement Wednesday, and expressed hope the money can make some difference.

"It's marvelous," said Nancy Wheeler, Kim's stepmother.

"Maybe it can make some sense of what happened."

"I think it was good they used my mom as an example," Tony Wheeler, 16, said.

Last edited by newyorkreload; 08-05-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
I (heart) California!!~

What a bunch of idiots. IDIOTS!~
Old 08-05-2005, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Hopefully this blows over and we don't get stopped for every small ****ing thing.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:03 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
Hopefully this blows over and we don't get stopped for every small ****ing thing.
A multi billion dollar aftermarket industry vs. $5 million in new funding...

Its going to have to blow over.

Quick Reply: Sacramento Crackdown