Please, God oh mighty please, quit griping about it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Please, God oh mighty please, quit griping about it.

It is my understanding that there is a certain level of paranoia about random stops and vehicle inspections by our local law enforcement agencies. Now instead of griping about the problem, why don’t we do something? I’m not talking about lets talk about doing something I mean lets do something. Is it logistically possible that we could get with other automotive communities and work out a date to have a rally at the capital? The only way to be heard it’s to speak up. A thousand plus modified and stock sports cars is a voice. Every single topic that has political weight is because there are people on both sides fighting for it. As of right now politicians and soccer moms fight for intakes to be blacklisted while the car guys takes it up the tail pipe. Why is that? Do we care less about our cars then those who make the laws? It sounds to me like we're just lazy. Modifications to automobiles are only illegal because laws get made to make them that way. And it’s the Police officers job to enforce it. But as members of a democracy, it’s our job to make our voices heard when the laws get made.

How many here voted last month? If so who did you pick and why? Did you know CA has a handful of reps that are car guys? These politicians are trying their best to get laws passed so that if a car owner is able to pass smog and a Db noise test it won't matter if the car has modifications. But so far they've run into barriers. But they need out help and support If you care enough to get mad about the way things are, do something about it, join an interest group; write some letters, go to a town meeting, something. But please, God oh mighty please, quit griping about it.

You can start here - http://www.motorists.org/

Then go here - http://www.sen.ca.gov/
http://www.assembly.ca.gov/defaulttext.asp
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/

V/R
..//NYR

Last edited by newyorkreload; 07-20-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 AM

Car Info: 2001 Miata NB
im down to rally! im taking a legal car down there though
Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Someone is bound to act like an *** at something like that...
Old 07-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
A bunch of kids in baggy jeans and sideways hats does not impress the public.

How about we murder the street racers that put the heat on us in the first place?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX Auto with high hopes :l
Did he say we should invite the ricers? No. We get people like us who love our cars and drive down there. I'm definitly up for this, we should find out when there is a vote on something that matters to us and drive down there. Why defy the law when we can work with it and change it for us?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by Cohnster
Did he say we should invite the ricers? No. We get people like us who love our cars and drive down there. I'm definitly up for this, we should find out when there is a vote on something that matters to us and drive down there. Why defy the law when we can work with it and change it for us?
because we don't invite them, doesn't mean they won't show up.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX Auto with high hopes :l
Originally Posted by ryball
because we don't invite them, doesn't mean they won't show up.
Well, hopefully the ones with half a brain show up at least.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:55 AM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
Maybe you could fill your engine bay with springy-snakes, and when your hood gets popped *SPROING* all the springy snakes will jump out at the officer. He'll think its so funny, he'll forget to check for the illegal radiator hoses.

but it might backfire and you'll get cited for the springy snakes, since they aren't CARB certified.

Last edited by Sky92x; 07-20-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:25 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
I've thought a fair amount on this subject. The state is all about money. Why don't we offer them some? What I mean is this... so many of us who do drive modified cars will often decide to pay the higher amount on a fix it ticket (including ones resulting from modifications) rather than bother with fixing it. Why wouldn't it make sense to offer that anyone with a modified car, regardless of the level or extent of the modifications, could take the car to a smog rep or other certified person and have the car certified... paying some sort of 1 time or annual or biannual fee to operate a modified car as long as it passes smog and noise regulations? This concept has always made sense to me and the state/officials in charge would have a difficult time arguing against additional revenue and an arguably happy medium.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 AM

Car Info: WRX STi
Originally Posted by Sky92x
Maybe you could fill your engine bay with springy-snakes, and when your hood gets popped *SPROING* all the springy snakes will jump out at the officer. He'll think its so funny, he'll forget to check for the illegal radiator hoses.

but it might backfire and you'll get cited for the springy snakes, since they aren't CARB certified.
Finally, a decent plan to outwit the police.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:43 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR
Cops really didn't bother me to much until a couple weeks ago. My friends and I took two cars to go Sac raceway (Evo 9 and a Mazda 3) right before the turn in to the track a CHP officer pulls both cars over. He writes a fix it ticket for the Evo not having a front plate and then checks both engine bays. The Mazda 3 had an intake that he wrote a ticket for. The driver of the Mazda 3 had just got the car and said the car had been smogged with the intake on and that it passed fine. This pissed the officer of and he started yelling how he was part of some task force and that the smog place should be shut down. Long story short I think it's funny that they want us to go to the track and not street race, but when we go to the track we are harrased. I am all for a rally! If a car passes smog and a DB test modifcations shouldn't matter!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by iceman302
I've thought a fair amount on this subject. The state is all about money. Why don't we offer them some? What I mean is this... so many of us who do drive modified cars will often decide to pay the higher amount on a fix it ticket (including ones resulting from modifications) rather than bother with fixing it. Why wouldn't it make sense to offer that anyone with a modified car, regardless of the level or extent of the modifications, could take the car to a smog rep or other certified person and have the car certified... paying some sort of 1 time or annual or biannual fee to operate a modified car as long as it passes smog and noise regulations? This concept has always made sense to me and the state/officials in charge would have a difficult time arguing against additional revenue and an arguably happy medium.
RussB brought up this idea a while ago.. all we need is get someone from i-Club voted into the states political system, and then we will begin the takeover !
Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 AM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
My wife had a funny thought about all this:

CARB certification costs a lot of money. (extortion)
Ricers and Folks, if busted for parts, will start being shy of buying uncertified parts.
Finding a drop in sales, manufacturers will pay CA to certify their parts.

? = revenue.

I can't honestly believe that someone truly feels taking away a kid's CAI will stop his street racing.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
RussB brought up this idea a while ago.. all we need is get someone from i-Club voted into the states political system, and then we will begin the takeover !
I nominate dr3d1zzl3.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:00 AM

Car Info: 05 STI
It's kind of difficult to rally about being pulled over and sited for something that is technically illegal. You are facing an uphill battle if you are asking for CARB to become more mod friendly. The feds are only going to get more and more strict with emissions requirements and CARB will probably lead that charge as they have in the past. While you could rally against the profiling, you still face the fact that most of the people that are worried about the traffic stops are, in fact, breaking the law by having modifications that are not CARB legal.

Quick Reply: Please, God oh mighty please, quit griping about it.