It's Wednesday, My Dudes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:22 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I'm not complaining about my high temps.

Aaron asked what my temps were. I answered.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
You're not complaining about your high temps because you haven't seen how much lower they are when they're not pulling from a hot engine bay, right in front of and on top of headers and a turbo that can get to red-hot under track loads. Just saying. I asked about your temps because I wanted to make a point - the only time I see an IAT more than 5-6 degrees above ambient (including 100+ degree days with the AC blowing, etc) is when the car is not moving.

And, you've complained many times about your high temps, have had issues with heat management on track, been concerned about your HG's, etc. On top of the obvious, which is that when air starts out hotter every part of the cycle including heat transfer to block, water, and cooling systems is higher, higher IAT means hot air going in, which means reduced performance, which means your foot in it more, which means more load, which means more heat. Kind of like how shaving a small amount in unsprung weight makes a huge difference vs. sprung weight - every little bit of thermal management you can do is better for the car, whether you're talking street or track.

With that said, I'm done - you're not at a power level where the one minor advantage of the SF that Vladi mentions is useful, and going speed density makes sense and eliminates that particular issue at power levels far below 600 wheel anyways.

We've known each other a long time. I don't claim to be an expert because I've read stuff on the internet, and I'm not trying to bash you - I've learned the hard way, with more miles, more cars, and more motors than most end users here, and I try to help save people money, time, and frustration. Vladi has touched (inappropriately, oooh, you're naughty ) many, many cars with many, many setups and has an even better handle on parts that help and parts that hurt - listen to him if you're not listening to me.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM
Bad Mudder Trucker

Car Info: 2013 Forester on Towstrap
Originally Posted by sybir
You're not complaining about your high temps because you haven't seen how much lower they are when they're not pulling from a hot engine bay, right in front of and on top of headers and a turbo that can get to red-hot under track loads. Just saying. I asked about your temps because I wanted to make a point - the only time I see an IAT more than 5-6 degrees above ambient (including 100+ degree days with the AC blowing, etc) is when the car is not moving.

And, you've complained many times about your high temps, have had issues with heat management on track, been concerned about your HG's, etc. On top of the obvious, which is that when air starts out hotter every part of the cycle including heat transfer to block, water, and cooling systems is higher, higher IAT means hot air going in, which means reduced performance, which means your foot in it more, which means more load, which means more heat. Kind of like how shaving a small amount in unsprung weight makes a huge difference vs. sprung weight - every little bit of thermal management you can do is better for the car, whether you're talking street or track.

With that said, I'm done - you're not at a power level where the one minor advantage of the SF that Vladi mentions is useful, and going speed density makes sense and eliminates that particular issue at power levels far below 600 wheel anyways.

We've known each other a long time. I don't claim to be an expert because I've read stuff on the internet, and I'm not trying to bash you - I've learned the hard way, with more miles, more cars, and more motors than most end users here, and I try to help save people money, time, and frustration. Vladi has touched (inappropriately, oooh, you're naughty ) many, many cars with many, many setups and has an even better handle on parts that help and parts that hurt - listen to him if you're not listening to me.