Home Theater Setups

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRB Wagon Ltd.
Hey IPOZ,

I got the Definitive's for cost and the ES50 from overseas due to the fact that I am in the Air Force. The infinitys are leftover from an old system and will be replaced in the future. The Infinities are part of a infitesimal four set-up that I had. If you think that it is fishy you can come and look at them if you want.

Super
Old 12-11-2005, 08:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Here's my sub (3ea 8's w/300 watt amp by Vandersteen).
Old 12-11-2005, 08:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
I have never really been a fan of in-ceiling speakers. For surround sound, you just don't get proper imaging with them. Ceiling mount/wall mount tend to sound a lot better, but for some reason they don't necessarily pass the 'significant other' test. And then again sometimes I'm too picky for my own good, so don't listen to me
Old 12-11-2005, 08:26 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by kidatari
I have never really been a fan of in-ceiling speakers. For surround sound, you just don't get proper imaging with them. Ceiling mount/wall mount tend to sound a lot better, but for some reason they don't necessarily pass the 'significant other' test.
I agree
Old 12-11-2005, 08:27 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by lowball
Do you have any pics of your actual room setup?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Hmm...CAT5 speaker cable...sounds interesting. Can you hook your speakers to the intArweb?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Question

Originally Posted by jvick125
9?! Are you sure? Do you have a source? That's pretty loud.

I corrected your spelling and grammar.

Got my learn on as a three year subscriber to two different home theater magazines, full of articles from people that know math and $#!+.
I've installed/ calibrated 12 or so systems and was personally denied getting THX certified cause I don't represent a "company". Turns out they're not big on folks being unlicenced and freelance.

I stand behind my quote. But I did leave out it only effects the prime "sweet spots". For where the bass ends up being directed.

another tanget: one should still consider ambient effects like reflected sound. can make the sweet spot end up in less then ideal locations. I'm not a big fan of hard wood floors and big glass surfaces. so sometimes the sub sounds best under the coffee table some times it souds best next to the TV. all else fails get a book shelf full of random sized books. another note. sounds waves are different sizes at different frequencies, if your sub has a frq. **** ajust it and the sweet spot may move a bit... I like 75HZ
Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by T-Will
Hmm...CAT5 speaker cable...sounds interesting. Can you hook your speakers to the intArweb?

Give it time... Denon is working on a system that alows firmware upgrades for future setups AKA 8.1 and 9.1. Ray Dolby is such a dafy bastard.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by newyorkreload
Give it time... Denon is working on a system that alows firmware upgrades for future setups AKA 8.1 and 9.1. Ray Dolby is such a dafy bastard.
another loop i've been out of for a bit... here it is...
Attached Thumbnails Home Theater Setups-denon.jpg  
Old 12-12-2005, 06:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Originally Posted by lowball
Lance, I want to have sex0rs with your subw00fer!!~
Old 12-12-2005, 07:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by SuperHawk
Hey IPOZ,

I got the Definitive's for cost and the ES50 from overseas due to the fact that I am in the Air Force. The infinitys are leftover from an old system and will be replaced in the future. The Infinities are part of a infitesimal four set-up that I had. If you think that it is fishy you can come and look at them if you want.

Super
No no, what I am saying is you are doing the Def's a huge disservice by pairing them with Kappa's. It's like taking the same speakers and driving them with an RCA preamp. Just wouldn't make sense.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:39 AM
VIP Member

I have tried moving the sub to a corner behind my TV . Got about a five dB gain. I don't need it, but you will should hear an increase. Now depending upon room acoustics, you may level out the sound or you may have more spikes. A low frequency pan Test tone and a dB meter go a real long way for determining your sub placement.

Last edited by ipozestu; 12-12-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by kidatari
I have never really been a fan of in-ceiling speakers. For surround sound, you just don't get proper imaging with them. Ceiling mount/wall mount tend to sound a lot better, but for some reason they don't necessarily pass the 'significant other' test. And then again sometimes I'm too picky for my own good, so don't listen to me
My problem is it's a Great Room that's not so great for HT. putting four speakers on stands behind and to the sides of the couch definately won't pass the SO test. couch is not backed up to a wall.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 AM
VIP Member

Depending how crazy you want to get with the room, you could really hypothetically shrink its's size by heavy drapes, thick pile carpeting, and acoustic panels on the back wall. You set the sound stage and adjust accordingly.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ipozestu
A low frequency pan Test tone and a dB meter go a real long way for determining your sub placement.

"Word"

Quick Reply: Home Theater Setups