Home Theater Setups

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:57 PM

Car Info: Sline
Home Theater Setups

I know some of you have them. Here's our's at school. Nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done.

Klipsch high-end bookshelf RB-75's:

SWS Subwoofer. 1 10" woofer that pounds for it's size. After they discontinued these, they became impossible to find.

Speaker with the grill off:

Close-up:

Teh setup:
Old 12-03-2005, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
I don't have any pics, but I have 5 Bose cube surrounds with a Bose center channel speaker. For the base, I have an infinity 10" powered woofer. 6.1 is great. The rear center channel makes a huge difference over 5.1.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
I have lowly Logitech THX computer speakers in my room.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Ahhhhhhh one of favorite subjects!!!!! Definitive Tech powered speakers all the way around. Sony 555-ES receiver processor. Adcom 7700 5 channel amp. Monster power stable power processor filters. Sony XBR. I'll post up some pics a little later.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:47 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
bose lifestyle system !!!! rocks
Old 12-03-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by lookin for sube
bose lifestyle system !!!! rocks
Klipsch>bose, fyi. Bose is over priced.

Ipozetu: AWESOME setup. Definitives have amazing sound quality. My friend's parents have those in their pool house, it sounds awesome.

T-Will: What model do you have? The Z-560's? If you do, spend the extra hundred to the get the Klipsch Promedia 5.1's. They'll blow you away.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by robsrex
I don't have any pics, but I have 5 Bose cube surrounds with a Bose center channel speaker. For the base, I have an infinity 10" powered woofer. 6.1 is great. The rear center channel makes a huge difference over 5.1.
I like infinity. Their bass is nice. But I don't think it's as tight as it could be. But that's only from having a sub of theirs in my car. The Perfect 12.1. What model do you have? I've heard a few A/V dealers say that their favorite home theater sub is an infinity, but I can't remember the model off the top of my head. What model of the cubes do you have?

Last edited by jvick125; 12-03-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Bose are ok for someone looking to add a little punch to thier television viewing. They do quite a bit of research into acoustic wave elongation. Simply put you can not produce the dynamics required for a true audiophile system. The cabinet and internal dimensions are not up to snuff. Outside of a 10x10 room forget about it. you are forced to drive to speakers beyond thier capabilities. IMO bigger speaker+mo power=mo betta
Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
ok yea the bose stystems are pricey BUT I have had more people comment on the sound of my system compared to my infinity system... and yes for the hard core audio people yes there is better but why worry about reproducing true sounds that the ear cant hear bose alters the sounds and I feel that is why people dont like them ....
Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by lookin for sube
ok yea the bose stystems are pricey BUT I have had more people comment on the sound of my system compared to my infinity system... and yes for the hard core audio people yes there is better but why worry about reproducing true sounds that the ear cant hear bose alters the sounds and I feel that is why people dont like them ....
Don't get me wrong. I like Bose. My family has a couple of the wave radios. BUT, I feel they lack in the mid range. They reproduce voice and higher range, better than the mid range. Ipozestu is right in that they do do A LOT of research in to the acoustics and what not. Also, the bass I think is very good for how small of speakers they use. ie: the wave radio. I think Bose is good at surround sound too. Although I haven't heard many true surround sound systems, not as many as I'd like.

ps: you want PRICEY? B&O. I've heard their stuff a lot, it sounds good, but not $22,000 good.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Ah yes, I used to sell/install home theater setups for a living One day I'll have a stable place where I can live and piece together a good setup, without having to worry about moving it. But I've been out of the audio market for at least 3 years, so I have no idea what's new in the market these days.

Oh, and Bose = overpriced. It's about the best you'll find in the average consumer store, but that's about it.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 AM

I like my Bose. They are easy to wall mount, and the ability to aim the same speaker two different ways is a big plus. The "acoustimas" modul (the sub that all the jewel speakers are attached to" doesn't hit very hard, but does give good mid range sound. I think one of the biggest differences in a Home theater is not the speakers, but the reciever running them. It isn't about big Watts...it's about good sound. I'm very happy with my HK reciever.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jvick125
I like infinity. Their bass is nice. But I don't think it's as tight as it could be. But that's only from having a sub of theirs in my car. The Perfect 12.1. What model do you have? I've heard a few A/V dealers say that their favorite home theater sub is an infinity, but I can't remember the model off the top of my head. What model of the cubes do you have?

The sub is pretty new. IIRC it is only called PS 10. Here's the one I have

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...px?prod=PS10BK
Old 12-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
I had an old B&O receiver combo cd/tape player thing. It fetched a pretty penny on ebay.

I just got these Infinity Crescendos from my Dad. They were collecting dust at his place so I convinced him to sell them to me.

This sub is kit I slapped together. Nothing special. Just a 12 in a sealed enclosure with a 350W amp. It moves some air but not as tight as I'd like it to be.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 AM

Good looking setup there, Axe.

I think one of the biggest differences in a Home theater is not the speakers, but the reciever running them. It isn't about big Watts...it's about good sound. I'm very happy with my HK reciever.
This is kinda true. A reciever is not going to make ever speaker sound the same. Or there wouldn't be different lines of them. For instance: my roommate bought the Klipsch F3's The highest 'entry level' speaker you can buy at Best Buy. After a week of listening we decided they were good, but not $800 good. So he got a deal on the Klipsch RB 75's. They so SOOOOOOOOOOO much nicer, for only $100 more.

Both these speakers were powered by the same receiver, a Yamaha HTR-5830 aka just about the cheapest receiver Yamaha makes. The two sets of speakers sound totally different. Yes, receivers are going to power speakers differently, but they don't matter as much as the speaker does.

The sub is pretty new. IIRC it is only called PS 10. Here's the one I have http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...px?prod=PS10BK
Not bad, how does it sound?

Quick Reply: Home Theater Setups