blown motor :(((

Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx love-wagon
yes oil makes a difference,

are you tuned? running OTC map?

if your engine was in good status before it blew, i would suspect the tune rather than oil.

also its a good idea to do oil analysis every once in a while, i do them every 10k or so. if you start getting an increased amount of metals in your oil, espeically non-ferrous it's a good indication of bearings wearing out, that way you know that u need to take it easy on the engine untill you save for parts/new block etc.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
All the people preaching about oil please show me cases of engine failure directly related to use of Mobil1.

I'm not defending it, just sounds like its blown WAY outa proportion and people spreading misinformation.

OP - how high did you spin it? is it tuned? what is your rev limit set at?

Sounds like severe user error destroyed this motor and not much else. I don't see a motor running perfectly for 40k all of a sudden spinning a bearing. But I'll reserve final judgement for when actual teardown and assessment happens.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
Damn, that sucks OP. Good luck on the build and hopefully it is just a spun bearing!

I don't know why people say Mobil1 is so bad. I've used it for the past 60K miles without any issues. My car does burn a bit of oil, but I check it often enough to not be an issue.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
I also don't believe oil is the issue here...but I've stayed away from mobile 1, always used oem,motul and amsoil(lately).

OP, what are your mods? How long have these mods been installed? What tuning have you done?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
Originally Posted by VladiWrX
All the people preaching about oil please show me cases of engine failure directly related to use of Mobil1.

I'm not defending it, just sounds like its blown WAY outa proportion and people spreading misinformation.

OP - how high did you spin it? is it tuned? what is your rev limit set at?

Sounds like severe user error destroyed this motor and not much else. I don't see a motor running perfectly for 40k all of a sudden spinning a bearing. But I'll reserve final judgement for when actual teardown and assessment happens.

Mobil 1 5w30 has shown to shear to w20.

There are plenty of UOAs on bobistheoilguy.com that show Mobil 1 5w30 performs poorly.

look at viscosity results

Here's a 2011 wrx w/ 5k on the odometer
Name:  CDHnP.gif
Views: 3
Size:  6.4 KB

here's a 2011 STI w/ 3k on the odometer, Rotella on the left, Mobil1 5w30 on the right

M1 EP 5W30 7538 Miles - 2011 WRX - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Mobil1 5W-30, Subaru WRX, 4,900 miles, Cu prob? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

1k miles on odometer

Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, 7232 mi, 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Name:  8VQL7.png
Views: 3
Size:  161.0 KB

all of these show mobil 1 breaking down to a 5w20 within 5k (as early as 1k in some UOAs)
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM

every comment says "it shouldn't hurt anything". I understand what your concern is, but: my question was - show me where it resulted in catastrophic failure and/or cause the motor to spin a bearing. maybe I'm just not looking through those sheets hard enough.

for what its worth - I use rotella/amsoil/etc too

Last edited by Vladi; 10-17-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Retired War Hero

every comment says "it shouldn't hurt anything". I understand what your concern is, but: my question was - show me where it resulted in catastrophic failure and/or cause the motor to spin a bearing. maybe I'm just not looking through those sheets hard enough.

for what its worth - I use rotella/amsoil/etc too
Some notes say that because some are closer to the range than others, but others have faster degradation than others. It is also looking at the whole engine (mostly the metals) to look at the engine's health. It's looking at what's in the oil, not just the oil itself.

The UOAs are from living motors, not blown ones. If people knew before hand, they'd change. An oil's life is as good as it's ability to maintain it's manufactured state. Mobil1 doesn't do that, and it can further degrade at an unknown rate and involve things like consumption. It shows that Mobil1 5w30 breaks down relatively quickly (1k miles in some cases). This also can attribute to consumption. You can extrapolate the data to make guesses of how long the motor would last under those conditions. No one has the ***** to run mobil1 further to see. Most people are afraid to continue using mobil1 after seeing such results. These are only a few snaps I took, there's a TON of data on this. It's no mystery.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM

LOL we're agreeing but neither of us wants to admit it? Ok, I'll go first: I agree with you that its not the best oil. For this reason I too don't use it. But my point is, the above posts all make it seem like mobil1 either destroyed, or heavily contributed to the destruction of his motor, and I refuse to agree with that, because well I don't think that's true.

But we're all just guessing here, since OP didn't care to provide any crucial details.

I guess we'll see when its opened up and inspected.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon/2.5rs
it was the driver!! =)

aha sorry bout earlier jeff...boss got all crazy cause we were slammed with work..ahah!!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Retired War Hero

LOL we're agreeing but neither of us wants to admit it? Ok, I'll go first: I agree with you that its not the best oil. For this reason I too don't use it. But my point is, the above posts all make it seem like mobil1 either destroyed, or heavily contributed to the destruction of his motor, and I refuse to agree with that, because well I don't think that's true.

But we're all just guessing here, since OP didn't care to provide any crucial details.

I guess we'll see when its opened up and inspected.
It could be a combination of things. I suspect oil/tune. We may never know. But we have previous data on the oil, we don't have logs from the tune. I'd say oil contributed, but I can't say if it did wholly or not.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 PM

Car Info: '01 GC8 & '96 OBS
I use Mobil 1 all the time in my rs and intermittently on my Wrx but eh I don't push my car at all and it sees oil changes frequently. No problems here.

Sorry about the car Jeff, hope it all works out for you bud.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
Holy **** jeff. Sorry to hear what happened bro...
Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by thejordan
It could be a combination of things. I suspect oil/tune. We may never know. But we have previous data on the oil, we don't have logs from the tune. I'd say oil contributed, but I can't say if it did wholly or not.
The biggest reason for spun bearings is probably bad tuning.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:35 AM

Car Info: Wrb bugeye
So I drained the oil last night and it I got no metal shavings or anything. Looked like what the oil generally looks like when doin an oil change. I then got the stethoscope out and started listening for where the sound was coming from (after adding oil again) and it sounded like its coming from the Driver side top end, on the cylinder closer to the firewall. So hopefully today I'll get a chance to pop the valve cover off and see what I can see.

Last edited by GD916; 10-18-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blown motor :(((