avoid voiding the warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by Vicuha
Stage2 is fine as long as u don't show any signs of abuse.
It depends on what the repair is and how mod friendly the dealer is, though on some repairs the dealership has no say in whether something will be covered or not. But, hundreds of stage 2 owners over the years disagree with your blanket statement having been turned away.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Originally Posted by jdblock
I already wrote why COBB would never admit if reflashing is visible. It would be horrible for business. They want to make their product warm and inviting, and not the cause of nightmares.

Kinda like how big tobacco doesn't want people to know it causes cancer. Rather, they use terms like bold, pleasure and slim to sell their products.
John - I hear you loud and clear buddy. But unless you have personally have had warranty claims voided, or personally know someone that has been, then its just a conspiracy theory. We can talk about those all day long, and nothing will come of it.
Of course Cobb wants to cover themselves in the event of any type of allegations that their product negatively affected someone's car. And of course they want to sell as much of their product as possible. And of course Subaru wants to deter as many people as possible from modding their cars. So each of the companies makes these types of statements that neither confirm anything nor deny anything. (and by Subaru statements I mean "we have magical technology that will go in and detect everything you've ever done to the car" )

The bottom line is that each uses common sense. If the car is modded and beat down, they will simply deny your warranty claim. Whether it had a crapcessport married to it at some time won't change that outcome much.

Originally Posted by Brfatal
You mean like how Cobb publicly denies that their maps can be unsafe and that people have lost motors to the OTS maps? No way Jose.
I like how many OEM Subaru maps are unsafe and in some instances a custom stage1 map not only improves performance and efficiency, but actually keeps the engine running safer.

It depends on what the repair is and how mod friendly the dealer is, though on some repairs the dealership has no say in whether something will be covered or not. But, hundreds of stage 2 owners over the years disagree with your blanket statement having been turned away.
So you refute his blanket statement with another blanket statement. Brilliant
Old 06-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by Vladi
So you refute his blanket statement with another blanket statement. Brilliant
I was done with the thread since you're stuck in that mindset without real experience on the matter, but this line has me curious. What blanket statement did I make?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
one thing that will put this argument to rest will be when CA goes to the new "plug and smog" later this year.

If there is any way to tell that the map has been altered from stock, CARB will be the people that would be able to figure that out. We should start hearing about people failing smog by the end of the year if they can detect it.

But you have to admit, COBB *has* to say that you cannot detect it. The cigarette company argument is a perfect analogy
Old 06-05-2013, 01:15 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
All changes to the ecu is data-logged........ whether with a lot of log info or not..... it is still recorded.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM

I was done with the thread since you're stuck in that mindset without real experience on the matter, but this line has me curious. What blanket statement did I make?
You weren't done. You're never done. You have to have the last word despite having nothing of substance to add to this thread.

If you cannot read what I quoted and comprehend how that's a silly blanket statement then I'm not sure I can help you.

Funny you mention real experience: you're the one claiming to have some when you clearly know nothing, whatsoever, about mapping ecu's or passing the OBD/Ecu scan with one.

You are regurgitating "from the horses mouth" remember?

Originally Posted by Max Xevious
one thing that will put this argument to rest will be when CA goes to the new "plug and smog" later this year.

If there is any way to tell that the map has been altered from stock, CARB will be the people that would be able to figure that out. We should start hearing about people failing smog by the end of the year if they can detect it.

But you have to admit, COBB *has* to say that you cannot detect it. The cigarette company argument is a perfect analogy
Does the fact that said cars pass smog currently, without a single issue (many on e85, with mods, some catless even) help? I think so.

Its not about telling if the map on the car is altered, that's the easy part. Its about telling if it was altered before, then switched back to completely OEM. And currently subaru ecu's do not support this. There are quite a few cars that do, some BMW's, Audis, etc. So I agree its possible and will possibly happen on future subarus, but it hasn't yet.

As for that last part: I agree with both you and John. I'm not saying its a false statement, I'm saying its not validated by solid facts (IE: people reporting to have had warranty claims voided due to SOA finding out that at some point during the car's lifetime it had a stage1 flash on it). Its just rumors and speculation. All that happened so far is people getting their claims voided based on obvious abuse and modification of the car. The dealership inspected the car and used their common sense.
Show me a car that comes into the dealer bone stock, never ever modded, but had a stg1 tune at some point then reverted back to stock and driven stock for a period of time, and came in to the dealer and SOA or the dealer refused warranty service on it. That's all I'm asking for.

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
All changes to the ecu is data-logged........ whether with a lot of log info or not..... it is still recorded.
Do you even understand what you're saying? Do you know what a data log is and how its done? Are you referring to a mythical "black box"? I'm pretty sure you are, and I'm pretty sure you're speculating, just like Brfatal.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by Vladi

Do you even understand what you're saying? Do you know what a data log is and how its done? Are you referring to a mythical "black box"? I'm pretty sure you are, and I'm pretty sure you're speculating, just like Brfatal.

Lol............jeez attacking almost everyone in this thread. Yes I know what I am talking about. There are no black boxes in our cars you know? I just simply stated that activity is being logged. Oh well it really doesn't matter what else is said, this thread already spiraled out of control. Thanks for entertaining I-Crutch.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
On the older ECU's there was a flash counter so you could see how many times the ECU has been flashed. I'm not sure if this is the case with the newer ECU's. That being said, I've never heard of anyone being denied a warranty claim after unmarrying the AP from the ECU.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Lol............jeez attacking almost everyone in this thread. Yes I know what I am talking about. There are no black boxes in our cars you know? I just simply stated that activity is being logged. Oh well it really doesn't matter what else is said, this thread already spiraled out of control. Thanks for entertaining I-Crutch.
I'm not attacking at all lol
Internet has a way of hiding emotion. This thread isn't out of control, its a discussion. The only escalated conversation is between me and Brfatal, and its because he neither has direct, nor indirect experience with the topic of discussion, but rather regurgitating and speculating and spreading mis-information and rumors. I'm calling him on it.

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
On the older ECU's there was a flash counter so you could see how many times the ECU has been flashed. I'm not sure if this is the case with the newer ECU's. That being said, I've never heard of anyone being denied a warranty claim after unmarrying the AP from the ECU.

Thanks
-- Ed
THANK YOU Ed

Last edited by Vladi; 06-05-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Samir, Jr.

Car Info: everyone cray cray
so as far as this is going the newer cars have no real way to tell there was a tune if you unmarry or reflash back to stock. as far as anyone is concerned that there is a way to tell if it has been stage 2 is just the normal look of nuts and bolts that have been removed and put back on but even that isnt a for sure sign that anything has been done. that being said. if you c.y.a and make sure everything is stock going in for work you should be fine.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
You looked unda my hood?!?!?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Samir, Jr.

Car Info: everyone cray cray
lol soo update talked to a few people at maita subaru and they are very mod friendly. they will back the warranty even if your stg 2 as long as you unmarry the ap or flash back to stock. they said as long as the upgraded part isnt the cause of the prob then the warranty will cover it.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by ks_dracing
lol soo update talked to a few people at maita subaru and they are very mod friendly. they will back the warranty even if your stg 2 as long as you unmarry the ap or flash back to stock. they said as long as the upgraded part isnt the cause of the prob then the warranty will cover it.
This is a policy based on US law. There has to be reasonable suspicion that the part caused the failure. I say reasonable suspicion because in some part failures (ie broken ringlands, spun bearing, etc) there is more often than not nothing that clearly caused a part to break. If a failure can be linked to a part, it can be denied warranty. They legally cannot decline a warranty repair based on mods that cannot cause that part to fail. A downpipe cannot be used an excuse to decline replacement of a malfunctioning MAF sensor, but it can be used if you have a bad O2 sensor.

Last edited by Brfatal; 06-06-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX PREMIUM
I don't want to really get dragged into this, but,

I have an 09 Wrx, was flashed to custom stage 2 from torqued performance, catless DP, n1 catback. It spun a rod bearing at 48k miles after being stage 2 for 20k+ miles, mine was supposed to be out of the date range for having the issues. Long story short, reinstalled stock DP, reflashed to stock with factory stock map. The advisor said they would check the ecu to make sure it hasn't been being abused.. Well I got a new motor and turbo under warranty. I even had the N1 catback on there. This was all done at autowest in Roseville. All I had to do was provide oil change records.

There is the relevant information that seams to be missing from this thread.

Last edited by Trakjunky; 06-06-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Thank you. Excellent input.

Your (and many others) personal experience seems to completely contradict Brfatal. But what do we know, he's a Subaru service technician (or whatever) so he knows all.

Last edited by Vladi; 06-06-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: avoid voiding the warranty.