WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:08 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
hows that 'hatin?' there isn't anything wrong with tamac rallies, i just can't think of anyplace in Japan that has enough gravel roads to run a gravel rally.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:50 PM

Location: Mantana, where the men are men and so are the women
Car Info: '03 red legacy
yeah i just go by the fact mtns and skiing usually mean good dirt roads. and uhhhh the "don't be hatin" was random and ghey, so ignore it...
Old 12-13-2003, 02:52 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Colin McRae's chances of returning to Subaru for the 2004 World Rally Championship appear to be dwindling, according to the sport's commercial rights holder, David Richards.

Richards, whose Prodrive organisation runs the Subaru team, believes that the Japanese giant may not be able to afford the services of the 1995 World Champion.

"As far as I'm aware a decision has been made, and it does not look too good at the moment," he said.

"It is a financial situation because of the increased costs of competing in the world championship next year. But all is not lost yet. There are a number of people and commercial sponsors who do not want to see Colin lost to the championship."

After failing to keep his seat at Citroen due to new regulations prohibiting three-car teams, McRae's name was added to the list of unemployed WRC drivers. A rally raid programme with Nissan appeared to be his only competitive outing for next year until Richard Burns' enforced sabbatical due to illness left a vacancy at Subaru.

A decision either way will have to be made before December 17, the deadline for driver nominations for the first round of the series – Rallye Monte Carlo in late January.
http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/0...rudoubtful.htm

Old 12-13-2003, 11:00 AM

ouch. sounds like the issue with McRae and Subaru is one of $$$. i bet McRae wants a much larger salary than Subaru is willing to shell out. i'd think that he'd do better to cut his losses, and settle for a smaller salary, i don't think hes hurting money wise these days, and it would keep his career afloat.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
So i was reading the lastest issue of EVO magazine (an English car mag) and it has a piece on the Focus RS8. a rear-drive 4.6 litre V8 after market kit being developed by Ford Racing Performance Parts. For the cost of $22,000 dollars and some auto know how you'ld be able to transform the standard US version of the Focus to a street racing monster.
Putting out 420 bhp and a whopping 370 ft of torque.

Oh boy i wish i had the money to do that to my Ford Focus.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:17 PM

before i bought my WRX, i test drove a focus. i didn't like the fact that it was FWD, but the chassis was really quite good. the SVT version that i drove handled better than any FWD car i'd ever driven. with a V8 and RWD, it could be one hell of a fun car, though it might be a bit of a handful given it's wheelbase.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Pr0n King

[offtopic]:banana: http://www.ford-v8-focus.com/ :banana:[/offtopic]
Old 12-13-2003, 02:33 PM

you had pics up in you forum a while ago didn't you? with an old mustang and a wicked old UPS truck? that's a shame about burns... it's but if he's demanding too much then it's his own fault really. oh well, i bet subaru finds some wicked young scandanavian talent that ends up world champion in 5 years.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:29 PM

there are lots of hot young drivers from Finland, Norway and the other scandinavian countries that would give their left nut for a drive with Subaru. it wouldn't suprise me at all if one of them got picked for the spot. shoot, Subaru would do well to pick up Mikko Hirvonen after he got cut from the Ford program. too bad Panizzi already has a ride with Mitsubishi, i'd love to see him in a Subaru.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Its offical, Mikko Hirvonen is now Subaru's second driver.

http://www.swrt.com/469797.html

Mikko Signs For Subaru
Subaru Tecnica International (STI) announced today that Mikko Hirvonen will join the 555 Subaru World Rally Team in 2004. With 2003 FIA World Rally Champion Petter Solberg and co-driver Phil Mills already contracted to the team, the announcement finalises Subaru's 2004 driver line up.

The 23-year-old Finn will continue his partnership with Finnish co-driver, Jarmo Lehtinen.

Subaru's decision to sign the Finn was driven by a commitment to its long-term, young driver development philosophy. Having helped nurture the careers of World Rally Champions Colin McRae, Richard Burns and Petter Solberg, who all joined the team with limited experience of the World Rally Championship, the Japanese marque has established a strong reputation for developing new and promising talent.

"We're very excited to have signed Mikko. He's a very talented young driver and we have the resources to provide him with the best car and team to help him develop his full potential," Team Principal David Lapworth commented. "We've been following the progress of many young drivers and we hope this is the first of a number of initiatives with which Subaru will be involved in 2004."

Mikko Hirvonen commented, "This is such a fantastic opportunity for me and I'm delighted I'm going to be driving for the team next year. There's so much that I want to achieve as a driver in the WRC and I know Subaru's the team to help me do that. I just can't wait to get in the car and get going!"

Born in 1980, Mikko Hirvonen has quickly established himself as a promising star of the future. Finishing in the points in 2003, his first year as a works WRC driver (he was sixth in Greece), Mikko has already tasted Subaru success having taking three wins in a Group N Impreza WRX in the 2002 Italian Gravel Trophy Series. In the same year he also contested two international rally events in an Impreza, winning both.

Beginning his season at Rallye Monte Carlo in January, Hirvonen will start the 2004 Championship in the same specification Impreza as Petter Solberg (the Subaru Impreza WRC2003). The Impreza WRC2004 is expected to make its debut on the third round of the 2004 Championship, Rally Mexico.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Pr0n King

Wow, Colin was too expensive, eh?
Old 12-15-2003, 07:53 PM

Car Info: 87 Honda Accord LX
Shouldn't be too bad, Mikko is quick, quick enough to match Duval's times in a '02 spec car several times on various rallies. Lets see how he does with the WRC2004 and then the WRC2004 in Mexico.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:47 PM

yeah, i think Colin was too expensive.

going with Hirvonen isn't a bad choice. the guy has shown speed, and quite a bit of rought talent. i think Subaru is going to be much better off in the long term with a skilled up and coming driver, than they would be with an aging superstar. not that Colin's old mind you, but the new kids are fearless in places like Finland where the old guard are more cautious from experience. i'll be interested to see how he does in Monte Carlo.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:26 PM

i'm actually kind of glad that subaru didn't pick up McRae. he's a good driver and all but he crashes entirely to much and seems to be a bit of an ***... i think that Mikko is a much better choice.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:47 PM

McRae is definitely a "win it or bin it style" driver. i think that often times he does come off as having an attitude, but after watching he and Tommi having a chat in Tommi's Subaru at Rally GB, i kinda wonder if thats just how he comes off in front of a camera.

Quick Reply: WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004