WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 01:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
Wonder how Solberg's brother will do. I'm hoping he does well.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:51 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
it'll be interesting to see if rally driving talent runs in the Solberg family the same way that it does in the McRae clan. i can't wait to hear the announcements regarding whether or not Subuar and McRae can reach a deal...
Old 12-08-2003, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

i agree.

Any more news on Richard Burns?
Old 12-08-2003, 03:53 PM

not that i've found. i've been reading WRC.com virtually every day with the hopes of finding out something on Burns, and the driver's lineup at Subaru. i wish they'd update it a little more often...
Old 12-08-2003, 04:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
Rovanperra out at Peugot?

originally from http://www.rallysport.com/news/wrc/a...s/000488.shtml

Provera said: "We have decided not to keep him any more. He has not performed like we would have wanted. Since he crashed out of Finland he seems to have had a mental imbalance in his mind."
Old 12-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Rovanpera said: "I don't understand this. We had talks in July and there was no problem. Now it looks like I have nothing for next season."
Wow...

Last edited by IS2Scooby; 12-09-2003 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Pr0n King

Hirvonen out at Ford! Ouch...

Rising Finn Mikko Hirvonen has been left without a drive as a result of Ford’s cutback for 2004.

Hirvonen contested the full World Championship with Ford in 2003 thanks to a deal between works team M-Sport and Pro Racing, the driver management company run by Timo Jouhki, but Wilson disclosed that there was “nothing concrete” for Hirvonen nor for fellow countryman Jari-Matti Latvala at present.

“We did have discussions with M-Sport, but that is pretty difficult, because of the Ford situation. We are contemplating some kind of programme. Nothing is in line,” Jouhki said.

Latvala will contest the Junior World Championship in Pumas and Fiestas, and may also tackle some events in a Group N car.
http://www.worldrallynews.com/cgi-bi...0984833,17479,
Old 12-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Pr0n King

Interesting... What do you guys think about the possibility of scrapped recce cars?

The FIA has sent a letter to each World Championship rally organiser warning that “compelling” reasons will be required for waivers from 1000 Pistes-type recces in 2004.

It is therefore all but certain that the revived concept, which has never been applied to World Championship rallies, will be enforced across the board from the Corona Rally Mexico onwards. Only the Rally of Argentina, which will run short of daylight in the southern hemisphere’s winter, seems likely to be granted a waiver. Every organiser was reported to be seeking a waiver.

The theory is that practising and contesting stages on the same day saves time and money. It could lead to the scrapping of recce cars and will reduce the duration of each rally. It will also place increasing emphasis on reliability, because service time will have to be pruned to squeeze the regulation 400 kilometres of stages into three days. 10-minute emergency services are likely to become routine, because flexi-servicing (another new concept, designed to limit the number of mechanics) will require re-groups that extend the standard 20-minute service to more like an hour.

The FIA is pressing on in the teeth of widespread criticism of the 1000 Pistes idea. The doubters believe that competitors practising while spectators simultaneously seek vantage points will lead to chaos and that the delayed start a morning recce requires will derail attempts to make rallying media friendly. There are concerns that television coverage will be badly affected, and that a heavy reduction in service time will lead to more retirements and thus to processional rallies. Others believe that emergency servicing will reduce the spectator appeal of the main service area. It isn’t clear whether emergency servicing will be permitted at the service area.

“We don’t have a problem with a 10-minute service out in the field, but I would hate for it to be like that on every rally,” Ford rally team director Malcolm Wilson said.

His Citroen Sport counterpart Guy Frequelin has reiterated his opposition to a ban on recce cars.

However, it is now expected that the FIA World Council will approve the new rules on Friday, and that they will have to be seen to fail publicly and repeatedly before they are scrapped.
http://www.worldrallynews.com/cgi-bi...0985038,58024,
Old 12-09-2003, 03:48 PM

Rovanperra being ousted from Peugot has been arround for a while. however, the Hirvonen situation is news to me. the wacky thing is that Ford is making a big effort to let up and coming drivers show off their skills at the world level. read the article at WRC.com

http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/0...privateers.htm

its like M-Sport and Ford are schizophrenic. we're not going to support Hirvonen, but drive a Focus in the WRC and we'll give you a drive (maybe)! freakin' management...
Old 12-10-2003, 01:38 PM

finally, a little something on Richard Burns. obviously its not the whole story, but its more than i've seen since the announcement that he wouldn't be driving in the '04 championship:

Richard Burns is coping well with the treatment for his brain tumour. That's the view of the Englishman's long-time co-driver and friend Robert Reid.

Reid visited the 2001 world champion last week and spent some time with_him.

"Richard remains strong and positive," he said. "He is finding the treatment quite tough, but the_doctors are happy."

Burns, who was diagnosed with the_astrocytoma tumour after falling ill during the run-up to_Wales Rally GB in November, will not be able to compete in the 2004 WRC while he recovers. His place at Subaru - the team_Burns was due to_return to after two years with Peugeot - is likely to go to former Subaru ace Colin McRae, although the team have yet to confirm or deny that a deal has or will be done.

© Copyright wrc.com
Old 12-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Pr0n King

Godspeed in his recovery...
Old 12-10-2003, 03:46 PM

okay, so it might be a little early, but Citroen is planning on replacing the Xsarsa! it appears from the brief article, that they're planning on a long term commitment in the WRC, and are looking at bringing the new car to the table for the 2005 season.

http://www.worldrallynews.com/cgi-bi...0552326,12594,
Old 12-11-2003, 06:01 PM
VIP Member

Man that's quick. Hell the paint on the Xsara isn't even dry yet. I think it has at least arother good 2-3 years (with mods of course). Oh well on to something else i guess.

Do anyone know yet what surface they'll be running on the rally Japan this coming season? Gravel or Tarmac?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:05 PM

i haven't heard anything new about Japan at all. i'm going to guess tarmac, since i don't really have a clue where they could actually run a gravel event in Japan.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:02 PM

Location: Mantana, where the men are men and so are the women
Car Info: '03 red legacy
japan's got some wicked good skiing, don't be hatin!

Quick Reply: WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004