WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
Urf, I just read on nabisco that Marko's all but confirmed to go to Peugot if (when) Ford 86's thier wrc program.

Looks like we get Colin McCrash after he's done with Dakar (A whole 1 day before Monte Carlo recce starts).
Old 11-19-2003, 04:27 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
what the hell? so Peugot is going to field three drivers? Martin going to Peugot would make it Gronholm, Loix, and Martin at a minimum, with the possibility that Peugot would make good on it's contract with Rovanperra. that just doesn't sound right.

McRae has said that he isn't going to drive in the WRC for 2004 several times. i can't imagine that he'd make it from Dakar to the recce in Monte Carlo in any condition to drive. that sounds to me like a silly but somewhat plausible rumor.

damn, it sounds to me like the 2004 season is going to suck. there just aren't going to be enough factory teams battling it out to really make the racing as close as it has been for the last couple of seasons. Loosing Hyundai from the factory lineup wasn't a big deal, but loosing Ford would be.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Just read over at wrc.com that Rovanperra's definatley out of a job at Peugot. Ahh, the silly season.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:54 PM

no kidding, the silly season certainly has earned it's moniker this year. its too bad that Rovanperra lost his ride at Peugot so late in the season. it means he'll have a hell of a time finding a drive for 2004.

okay, this is the first that i've heard of it, but there was mention on WRC.com that forr 2004, service may only be a fuel and tires affair! does that mean no more 20 minute gearbox swaps, full replacement of suspension components, and the like? that'll really put a damper on the latter stages of some of the rougher rallies.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

whaaaat???

Ok cost containment's a fine goal, but if you can only do fuel and tires, 90% of the field will drop out after the first day! Man, what boring rallies there would be if everybody's driving slowly and safely to ensure that they finish without breaking anything.

Hey FIA!
Old 11-21-2003, 11:47 AM

that's what i heard. you're right though, it will either result in drivers conserving the cars until about two stages from the end on the last day, or 90% of the field not finishing. with the new points system that was implemented this past year, i'd be on the teams ordering driverst to take it easy on the cars, if service became a tires and fuel only affair.

i don't know if its true, but i'd imagine that we'll have to either wait for a press release from the FIA, or the Monte Carlo rally to know for sure.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:26 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
*gulp*
Old 11-24-2003, 10:35 AM

apparently, Gilles Panizzi is pretty stoked about the way the new lancer is working in early testing:

http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/0...mitsubishi.htm

also worthy of note is the fact that Gilles will be the lead driver for Mitsubishi this year. he'll have three other team mates througout the year, all unknowns who are going to be sharing the second car.

there was one photo of the car on the opening page of WRC.com, but since its now testing in the open, i'm sure more will surface soon.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

YAYY PANIZZI!!!!

He's my favorite guy to watch in the whole championship (yes, even more than Petter). Here's hoping that Mitsu's got the kinks worked out of the Evo, and we get a good hard fight next year.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:04 PM

i've been trying to find photos to post of the new Lancer, but i'm not having much luck at all. Mitsubishi seems to be doing a fairly good job at keeping things under wraps right now. however, i've been able to find the official press relase about their 2004 driver lineup, which makes for a pretty good read.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/mot...s06/index.html

however, there is more news on other fronts. it looks like Skoda won't be contending the entire championship for 2004, and will run a limited calender of 10 events in europe. i guess that they can't justify the money to get to australia, new zealand, argentina, mexico, japan and the like while they're getting left in the dust. apparently, there are also talks of Harri Rovanperra driving, get this, part time for skoda.

anyway, more news here:

http://www.rallycodriver.co.uk/wrc2004/news3.htm#skoda
Old 11-24-2003, 03:07 PM

finally, pics of the 2004 EVO WRC:
Attached Thumbnails WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004-lancerwrc04_400.jpg  
Old 11-24-2003, 03:08 PM

more, in what appears to be the new factory paint scheme. however, i'm not positive because the site i found these on was in some Scandinavian dialect that i sure as hell don't speak.
Attached Thumbnails WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004-200311_evo8_1.jpg  
Old 11-24-2003, 03:09 PM

another, from a better angle...
Attached Thumbnails WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004-200311_mitsubishi_evo8_2.jpg  
Old 11-24-2003, 03:09 PM

Attached Thumbnails WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004-200311_mitsubishi_evo8_3.jpg  
Old 11-24-2003, 03:10 PM

last one...
Attached Thumbnails WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004-200311_mitsubishi_evo8_4.jpg  

Quick Reply: WRC: what's up in The World Rally Championship 2004