Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Soccer05 Bugeye GTX 3071 Street Track Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 03 subaru wrx
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
man that thing looks bad.

do you have any close up photos of the final flock on the dash. I have an extra dash and clock. Might be a cool project for me.
Sure, I did a little how to thread on nasioc showing all my details and some close ups. Let me dig it up and see if that works, if you need more detail I can take some more pics of whatever you need. Let me do some digging
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Here is the link, let me know if that helps or if you need any pictures of specifics. I was very nervous about doing it as it is front and center and you can't really go back without buying a new dash, but I am extremely happy with how it has turned out. Very functional and professional looking end result for 50 bucks and some elbow grease.

DIY Dash Flocking - NASIOC
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM

Seeing as I was complaining about a couple minor details with my suspension setup (if you call tire rubbing under large impacts minor, its minor until you rip off some body work and wear a hole in your tire), I previously ordered some Swift springs in 400 lb/in (actually 392 lb/in but who is counting). These are a significant 100 lb/in increase in the rear corner. Should do a number of nice things for the car, stiffen up the rear, balance the car a little better, reduce understeer/increase oversteer, etc. Big thanks to all those who provided input. So I called up the nice fellas at Turn in Concepts, and talked about my goals and setup, and we decided to start by leaving the front H&R coils at 450 lb/in and increase the rears to 400 lb/in. Many of the more stiffly sprung wrx/sti's run a 50 lb/in difference in spring rates front to rear instead of the 100 lb/in that was more common in the past. Since it is springs, if I don't like the feel it is relatively inexpensive to upgrade the fronts to 500 lb/in. So right now the car is running 7 kg/8kg springs, slightly softer than some of the track and autocross cars, but due to the limitations of my dampers I feel this should be an effective package, but we will see when they get installed.

So I come home yesterday and the good folks at Turn In Concepts sent me a little love package. Big thanks to these guys for taking the time to discuss my project, and then sorting out my error when I quoted them measurements for the outside diameter of the spring rather than the inner perch diameter. I do not know how they can put up with idiots like me all day and still be so incredibly helpfull and knowledgeable. Thanks for all the support TIC.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 AM

I think these will do nicely. Instead of the H&R length of 6.5 inches, I increased the length to 7 inches, as I had the spring perch maxxed out at its highest position to attempt to raise the ride height and curb the rubbing. Get these installed, finish dialing in the chassis, playing with ride height and allignment, then off to corner balancing. Oh yeah, and before that I need to purchase a passanger seat so I can take a passenger. My girlfriend already hates this project, and I can't even take her for a drive. Still deciding between Racetech rt4009 or an sti passanger seat, as I am not sure if she will tolerate climbing in and out of a bucket, even though I think the racetechs are as comfortable as a stock seat, just need to climb in and out of as they are a bucket seat.

Looking to install these soon!!! Hopefully these will solve my problems and I won't continue to chase issues. I want to get these sorted so I can move onto some big projects, like either a 6 speed swap with aggressive diffs or an sr20det with vvl head swap (basically a Honda vtec on intake and exhaust), should be a fun little car.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM

So as usual, something always comes up to delay things when modifying cars. So after removing the coilovers, my passenger side spring perch collar had damaged the threads and needed replaced, which of course, was a special order part from H&R. Fortunately, the body of the shock is stainless steel and the collar is aluminum, so damage was only done to the softer aluminum and the threads on the coilover were undamaged. So $50 bucks and a week later and I have my spring perch collar and ready to complete the spring swap. Of course I took the down time to completely scrub and clean my coilovers to get all the road grime out of the threads.

Out with the old ...

Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM

In with the new hotness, with the much stiffer swift springs.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM

All installed and tightened down. Locked and ready to rock.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM

I was waiting to get everything finished up for this stage and do a completed picture, but as you all know these projects never really end. It's been a crazy couple of months with a drastic, but very exciting career opportunity. As a result, I have been unable to do any of the wrench work on my car and needed to switch out some component choices so the car would be street legal in California. So out comes the ATP GTX3071 turbo with EWG and aeromotive fuel rails, and in goes stock rails run in parallel and a Blouch Dominator 1.5. Very excited for this turbo, the guys at LIC and Topspeed are very excited about it. Also have to lose a couple of other items, switching to all black hoses in the engine bay, as the blue ones are a little too flashy for my new sleeper look (no blue tial wastegate for them to match with). Also switching to the Cobb intake system for its carb legal status.

Fortunately, as you can tell by the pic my car is in very capable hands with Adam and Noah from LIC. Very excited to get this round done and decide where to take my car ambitions next, either more Subaru or maybe an ls7 in my 240sx. Definitely puts my little pea shooter in perspective, there is always a car bigger, badder, and more dialed in than yours. Love seeing it in a pic next to the LIC race car, maybe someday I'll get the built block and the rest of the goodies.

Car does look good though....

Last edited by soccer05; 08-03-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Exciting things have been going on with the car. A little sneak peak until I get everything done and ready to post. Haven't had much time for the car the last couple of months with a very busy work schedule. But here is a little sneak peak.

Each step the car is getting more and more potent, this should be an extremely fun setup for the street on 91 octane.

Obviously, all the work is being done by Noah and Adam at LIC Motorsports. Huge thank you for all their help and advice throughout the build.

Last edited by soccer05; 08-03-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Here's a little pic from LIC motorsports with the engine installed, should be fired up in a few hours to dial in a base map for break in. Obviously, still have things left to be installed, still running my APS TMIC and such, but the engine is in.Running a hybrid sti block with wrx heads (LIC motorsports hybrid block B1.5 shortblock). I will post up details in a bit, excited to get past the break in cycle of the engine and tune for performance. 2.5 liters plus Blouch Dom 1.5 XTR should be a very snappy, fun street setup that will translate well to the track. Very excited to post results.

Huge thanks to Naoh and Adam at LIC for all the hard work and all the extra work with this stage of the build. Very excited to experience the full potential of this setup.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Picture of the car about to be fired up at LIC Motorsports. We've done quite a bit of changes to quiet down the engine bay and make it a true sleeper. This is about as stock looking of an engine bay as one can get. Obviously, the air snorkel still needs to be installed, but this should be a super responsive, fun, and decently powerful setup on 91 octane. Excited to get an sti tranny so I can unleash the true power of this turbo as I will be having to reduce some of the power/torque to protect my lil 5 speed, and finish dialing in the couple areas of the car that I still want to improve. I am very excited for the torque of the 2.5 and the ability to spool a larger turbo.

This should be a fantastically fun daily driving setup. I will post more info of what was done and why, as well as power numbers after the break in of the motor is complete. Obviously, I am very excited about this turbo /engine setup, and the top notch work done by LIC. Work to the car finished up last week, and I picked up the car last weekend. Driving around breaking in the engine properly, full power figures will be at 1500 miles.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 AM

First oil change completed on Monday after 500 miles. OIl levels looked good, no leakage and no unusual debris in the oil. Have my next scheduled oil change on Tuesday which will put the engine at 1000 miles. One more oil change, 1500 miles, then we tune for some power and I start letting everything out of the bag that we did and why. Always like to get stuff completed first, plus I have to remember to bring down a thumb drive to get all the pictures from Lic that they took during the build.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Just picked up the car last night from LIC after getting its second oil change. 1000 miles down and inching closer to finishing the break in of the motor and getting it tuned for some real power. I will put another 1000 miles on the car and go in for a final oil change, switch to synthetic, and get the car tuned. I broke in the car at no boost for the first 500 and a 4000 rpm rev limit. The second 500 miles I broke in at light boost (5-7 psi) with a rev limit to 4500 rpm. For the final 1000 or so miles I will be keeping it to low boost (5-7 psi) with a 5000 rpm rev limit. We are doing some extra break in miles as I am putting enough miles on the car with my commute to give the engine extra miles to seat the rings. Since I am local, this is no inconvenience and a little extra time now is worth it to have a reliable, trouble free engine. Right now there are no problems or issues with the ring sealing or break in, all is normal, but we figured to ensure a really good break in we could run it an extra 500 miles before switching to synthetic and getting it tuned. So, hopefully in two weeks, we can get the car tuned and rev this bad boy out and start enjoying this setup….

I can say even during break in the engine is remarkable smooth throughout my limited rev range.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Anybody interested, finally got a free minute and got a usb drive that will connect to my camera card. Posted up a few parts for sale. Anyone that wants some high wuality, perfect mechanically and cosmetically parts for a nice little discount that was only on the car for like 5000 miles check out my thread. ATP GTX3071, perrin inlet, samco hoses, etc.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/used-a...-hoses-255091/
Old 01-02-2015, 09:24 PM

Somehow had let my thread in here lag behind the other ones, so I'll be updating this to the current stuff...

Minor update- right now at snail performance getting the final tune on the car. Took forever to line up a time with my work schedule and Travis' but we finally got a block of time to nail this thing out. Just swapped my Aps 3 inch exhaust on last night and drove the car up without hitting boost. Prepped for the tune past night, oil change with fresh royal purple xpr oil, topped off fluids, and checked for exhaust leaks. Should be ready for final numbers, and begin saving for a 6 speed. We will be keeping the numbers lower than what the turbo can produce for reliability because of my tmic and fragile 5 speed. Should still be a fun lil car at this point, with room to grow in the future. Really looking forward to a 6 speed with is giken diffs and a proper set of coil overs.

Last edited by soccer05; 01-02-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Soccer05 Bugeye GTX 3071 Street Track Build Thread