Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Soccer05 Bugeye GTX 3071 Street Track Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Car Info: 03 subaru wrx
And another shot. Just gotta keep moving forward...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Been sub'd for awhile now. Looking really good, excited to see this completed. Those fender flares are naaaaasty!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Some more pics as the bodywork progresses. Bodywork is absolutely foreign to me, so I am pretty interested in how this progresses. The rears are the most involved in fitting, as it involves cutting the rear fenders and sealing multiple layers of metal. It is very involved to properly fit wide rubber on the rear of subaru's.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Pic of how the rear fenders match up to the oem bodywork. Very involved to make everything look both functional and proper. Fortunately, the flares from karlton are extremely well made (my bodyshop was literally blown away by them), making the amount of modifying for proper fitment very minimal as each car has minor differences to ensure proper match up.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Picture of cutting to the inner fender well for maximum compression travel.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM

If you ask me, its starting to look pretty mean....

Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM

As you can tell, I'm pretty happy at how the bodywork is progressing.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM

A lil pic showing off her backside..

Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Some more pictures of the rear.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Just going through my pictures and realized I never uploaded these. Prior to sending the car to the bodyshop I removed my oem u brace to help cut off weight on the front end of a front heavy car. To keep the chassis rigidity acceptable, I replaced the oem u brace with a Cusco V.2 front under chassis u h brace. This ties the important suspension pickups together and saves a considerable amount of weight off the front end without reducing chassis rigidity. Combined with my other weight savings on the front end (AMS lightweight front bumper beam, removal of oem battery and relocation, Cusco Underbrace to replace oem u brace, perrin headers to replace oem headers, APS TMIC which adds some of that weight back) should go quite a ways for improving the weight distribution and lightening up the front end. Looking forward to how this heavy street car corner balances, Trying to do a couple of simple things to help improve the static weight distribution for a street car, obviously there is a ton more that can be done if my budget was higher (i.e. Lic dry carbon panels) etc. but it is a decent start for a well balanced daily driven street car. And as the build progresses, I can always do more in the future.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM

The Cusco Underbody brace does bolt right in with all my existing modifications, and easily fits with my Whiteline Race ALK. The stack of washers is necessary to fit with the ALK, but comes with the Cusco Brace. I am deciding whether it is worth taking the spacers down to a mchinist and get some 1 piece spacers cut to replace the spacers and clean up the look of the install. Not sure, but it is functional and effective right now, and does cut a considerable amount of weight off the front of the car with 0 drawbacks.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Getting excited, just ordered a Synapse DV Valve to replace my oem BOV. This will have the tmic flange for direct bolt on fitment, and is a very quality piece. The tunability and piston construction has shown very promising results, allows less loss of boost during shifting, no leaking, improved part throttle driveability, etc. After reading a number of reviews and performance testing on the evo IX and GD STI on motoiq(both cars have pretty darn good boost control from the factory), I have decided to give this dv valve a shot, as I am aiming to make the GTX3071 spool as fast as possible with maximum throttle response. I have to try everything when I am attempting to spool that large of a turbo with my measly ej205, and as I keep telling myself through the build, it will all transfer over to a built 2.5 block. I will post with results, everybody I have talked to has provided positive reviews about something as simple as a BOV/DV Valve.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 AM

More progress at the bodyshop, car has been primered and should be going in for paint today. Car should be ready for pickup on Friday. Progress is looking good!!!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Looking good!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM

Some more pics from the body shop. The body shop spent a little extra time making sure the flares fit my fenders exactly. There was very little modification needed, as the flares fit very closely, but a little work was needed as my fenders had there shape changed with the previous pull. If you didn't do a super aggressive pull like I had done, this should not be necessary, as my bodyshop was very very impressed with the quality of the flares. They were talking to me about how they were made, and how the body shop that made them had done a couple of extra steps to make these very high quality, but I can not remember what they called it, but they were very impressed.

It was very important to me to have everything match and look oem in fitment, I didn't want gaps or ziptied panels, I want the exterior to look as functional and proper as the parts under the hood. The bodyshop is taking their time and taking a lot of pride in their work, which is very very refreshing.

Quick Reply: Soccer05 Bugeye GTX 3071 Street Track Build Thread