Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

my family car project....it's alive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: e39
my family car project....it's alive!!!

Ok well I finally decieded just to go ahead and start a journal for my car. I got my car back in august of 2004 after my turbo civic was stolen. At first I wasn't sure what type of car I wanted. I drove around to different dealerships checking out the new rx8, bmw, acura tl, and a g35. First I offered 34k for a g35 but since they at such high demand at the time the dealership would not sell it to me. So after that I was stumped I just didn't know what kind of car to get. So while I was driving my rental car from the insurance company I saw I fixed up subaru wrx. I was like "whoa thats really nice." So I ended up going to steven creek subaru because they offered me the lowest price on a premium edition wrx. I didn't get an sti because at the time I could not justify paying for 30k+ on a car and not having a radio. I was like "ehh no radio" I was not really into subarus so I didn't know the sti had 2.5 liters. I thought I could make the wrx faster with some mods and save the money....Ehh I was wrong but I still love my car...

Name:  DSC01196.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  81.6 KB
ok so after getting the car I wanted to get some fun toys for my car. At the time one of my friends was really into subarus entering his bugeye wagon in car shows and actually winning. He was a real jdm *****...hahah Mr. baller chan aka
blk rex wagon so he hooked me with a shop in I think it was in fremont before called gruppe-s. I got a chargespeed front lip lowered the car got a helix up-pipe and a helix non catted downpipe. here is my car coming back from gruppe-s.
Name:  DSC01383.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  56.2 KB
Name:  DSC01385-1.jpg
Size:  66.3 KB

*page 2 shows a list of all my recent modifications to my car.
*page 10 shows most recent pictures of how the car looks like now.

Last edited by tamashi523; 08-24-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 AM
VIP Member

ok so I still wasn't happy with the car I was like man I need some rims. Like most of you were probably thinking as well. So I looked for some rims and stumbled on these bad boys...
Name:  frtyr.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  35.7 KB
They were 18x7.5 5zigen fno1rc in bronze. I was so happy I loved how they looked and they were super light...
Name:  DSC01751.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB
Name:  day1a.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  55.3 KB
Old 12-27-2006, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

ok so after while me and my gf found out that she was pregnant. Oh man that was a big surprise for us so we move out of sunnyvale to fairfield. Where we bought a house out there...
Name:  babydaddy.jpg
Size:  40.1 KB
here is my little baby...well he is a lot bigger now but this is when he was first born.
ok well after I moved to fairfield I got a bov and a blitz nurspec catback since it sounds so badass.
Name:  DSC02598.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  47.9 KB

Last edited by tamashi523; 12-28-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

ok by now I was pretty happy with how the car looked but wanted to make it faster...so the best turbo for the 2.0 is the vf30/34/22 so at least I thought. I ended up buying a vf30, walbro 255lph fuel pump, hyperflow tmic, sti pink injectors and an 04 accessport. By then I was already friends with a lot of subaru people in fairfield all thanks to the barnes and noble meet on fridays at 7:30pm. I had so much support from them and motivation. They are now like some of my best friends here in fairfield so much props to them.
Name:  vf30007.jpg
Size:  31.8 KB
Name:  vf30001.jpg
Size:  47.5 KB
After everything was installed in my car I got it protuned by mike over at gruppe-s. I got 240whp I forget the torque #'s now but it's a 2.0 so it's not anything crazy. But then again gruppe-s dyno's are known to read really low, and mike tuned my car the best he could but it was just knockin' like crazy. Well the problem was bad spark plugs I bought some ngk copper 1 step colder plugs and I never gapped the plugs...Err oh well lessons learned. Either way my car still ran pretty quick. I also swapped my wrx wing for an sti wing with one of my friends, and got rid of the chargespeed lip for a ravspec cf s203 lip. Oh and I got the jdm rear lip.
Name:  IMG_0032.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  54.7 KB
Name:  benicia20.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  74.2 KB
Name:  DSC02609.jpg
Size:  35.3 KB
oh and by the time those picks were taken I had 2 kids
Name:  DSC04070.jpg
Size:  30.5 KB
Name:  DSC04207.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  47.5 KB
the one i'm holding is my 1 year old and the bottom one is my 2 year old

Last edited by tamashi523; 12-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
Nice family car loose the wing
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

ok so after about a year I got tired of the nurspec catback exhaust and got the apexi gt spec catback exhaust. Ok so I gotta admit this is one of my favorite exhaust sytem. I love how it sounds and my butt dyno really liked it as well. The nurspec is a good exhaust but is just sooooo louddddd.
Name:  apexigtspec005.jpg
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  DSC03437.jpg
Size:  32.3 KB

Last edited by tamashi523; 12-27-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

ehh the wingless look is koo but I like the sti wing just what I prefer.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
either way nice car
Old 12-27-2006, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

ok so along the way I got some jdm bling for my car including arc shroud, arc pulley cover, arc, shift ****, and cusco titanium strut bar. I also eventually got rid of the 5zigen fno1rc because I wanted to go wider. I ended up getting 5zigen gn wheels in 18x8.5 +48 offset and 245-40-18 tires. I loved how much wider they were but I had to roll my fenders so that they wouldn't rub

Last edited by tamashi523; 12-27-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

ok well I have more stuff to add including my new turbo setup and all my other mods too...to be continued...
Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 AM

Car Info: o6 impreza.
sounds interesting...deff like the new lip over the huge older lip
Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 2006 San Remo Red WRX
Nice ride. When are you going to be back out to B&N?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Wow....I like the first lip, but then when I saw what you traded out for I was like...that's even nicer. Simpler.

Love the GT Spec as well (had a Borla Hush prior to it) and also noticed a nice gain with it.

Love the black, the car looks awesome. (Keep the wing )
Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

ok now to continue with my family car build up so everything with my car was going well I was pretty much happy with the whole setup when an unexpected surprise happened. My wife took my car to burlingame for a party she was going to and she stayed at some hotel over there. The following day when she was leaving the hotel a cop was waiting in the parking lot next to my car....She didn't think anything of it but I guess the night before some stupid girl was street racing and killed some of the royal family of tonga so cops in the area was really cracking down on modified cars...Ehh so when she turned my car on the cop immediatly yelled for her to get out of the car...She was like "wtf" he told her to open the hood of the car but the problem was she didn't know how...So I guess a few mins. later the cop helped her open it...When he opened the hood I don't think he really know what he was looking at...Especially since I cover everything up. the only thing you can see when you open my hood at the time is my arc pulley cover, arc radiator shroud, and my cusco heat shield covering up the turbo and part of the helix dp. Oh yeah I got rid of my blitz bov because I got tired of it...So I was using the stock bpv. I didn't have an intake at the time so engine wise there was nothing to really get me for...But of course that wouldn't stop our fine police officers in the penninsula...Of course he got me for my exhaust he said my exhaust was too loud, but I mean that was fair the gt spec isn't the quietiest exhaust in the world...hahah but what pissed me off was he tried saying my blitz turbo timer was a racing computer...I was like huh? Even my wife was stumped? She told the cop that all it did was keep the car on so it can cool down since it's a turbo charged car. But the cop was like "NO I SAW THAT IN THE FAST AND FURIOUS IT'S A RACING COMPUTER" man what an idiot he also saw my plug for the accessport so I guess he thought that hooked up to my turbo timer. The cop was a complete dick to my wife he was saying that he can impound my car because its a race car and she doesn't have a racing license...But eventually what happened was since she didn't own the car he said he would just let her go. But my car was sent to the state ref....When I found out I was sooo maddd...After all the work i did to my car now it's going to the state ref...Aww man...So I started to pull everything out my car I bascially put everything back to stock. I sold the vf30, I sold pink injectors, I took off the helix dp and apexi gt spec catback and put it all back to stock. So when everything was off I decieded just to sell the gt spec exhaust as well. So the only engine parts I had was just the helix up-pipe. When I went to the state ref with my car I kept the hyperflow tmic on my car and the uppipe I took off the protune map and put it back to stock settings. I ended up going to solano college for the state ref. I was sooo surprised by how nice everyone was. They did the smog test the sound test and checked around the car for cats and made sure I didn't change the 02 sensor on my car. But they weren't really to strict at all. They were just saying I should do this and that to my car..They were also laughing when I told thm what the cop said about my turbo timer. They told me that most of the time cops pick things out because they would rather say something is illegal then not even say anything about it at all even if they were wrong. So after I passed I ended up going to court I had a 2k ticket. When I finished going to court I only ended up paying $10 bucks and $35 bucks for the ref. I mean i'm glad everything went well but I hate how much time went into it...Ok so now my car was stock and I wasn't sure if I really wanted to do anything to it. It''s was a friday so I was getting ready to go to the B&n meet so I was thinking I should go the car wash and get my car cleaned...When I going there my lip got caught on somemthing and the machine ripped it off my bumper...Oh man was I pissed! I didn't know what else could happen to my car. So I ended up going lip-less for awhile but got tired of it so I bought a lip from cvr a polyuthane lip and thats whats on my car now. It's very durable. You can scrape it on the ground and its still fine. Ok so after I ordered the lip I ended up ordering a fp td05h-20g turbo from gruppe-s....So that was a big mistake because it took me like 6 months to finally get it. My stupid *** was just to stupid to cancel the order and get it from someone else...Oh well lessons learned. I just had so much good service from them in the past I guess I was a loyal customer...
Old 12-27-2006, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

ok so now my turbo is ordered, while my car was waiting for a new turbo I ended up putting my down pipe back on and I flashed my car to stg2. I was still using the stock catback since I already sold my apexi gt spec catback. I was still kinda scared of cops hahah at the time and didn't want to repeat what happened earlier. So I was thinking...Hmm what would be a good quiet exhaust that I can buy that wouldn't get me in trouble for being to loud...I remembered my friend will having a fujitsubo rmno1a for his wagon and one of my friends in fairfield ended up buying one too. I was really impressed by how quiet it was. 3' piping and super quiet..plus you get that jdm bling...wow I could not pass on that so I bought one for myself.
Name:  DSC04050.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  20.5 KB
just a side note for people looking to buy the fujitsubo rmno1a. the usdm tapers down towards the down pipe, so if you want it to be a full 3" you can just modify your catback like I did.

Last edited by tamashi523; 12-27-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: my family car project....it's alive!!!