Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Harry Maneuvers Braggin Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
looks good lower it soon!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
looks good lower it soon!

Quite the opposite, this is the Fiance's DD so going low doesnt really appeal to me or her.

Most likely going to go with Ground Control coilover conversion kit with some koni inserts with slightly taller springs.

I want to have the ability to go from 1 inch above stock height to .5 inches below stock height... or something similar.

Just got the rear fenders rolled today too.

Big props to Alex (408-807-9812) who I read rave reviews about over on Bimmerforums... no cracking, chipping, stressing ect...

No complaints at all!

I am going to have to take it back in to FW either tomorrow or tuesday. It has an overboosting issue that we just cant get to go away.

Here is a good video that I took today from a stand still. Note that I am pressing on the gas at about 70-75%. I let up from the throttle slightly as the car starts to overboost... I am afraid to just hold the gas down and see how bad it gets.

MVI 0066 - YouTube
Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM

Well I took the car in to Paul... Twice...

First time I took it in, Paul plugged my AP into his laptop and made a tweak. Then told me to reflash and drive for a bit to see if it helps. Did the reflash, no improvement.

Took it in a second time and dropped it off for the day. He calls me mid day to tell me that he has test drove it both on his Stage 2 map and on the Cobb Stage 2 ANCI and as soon as he starts to drive, the DAM goes straight to 0. He has no clue why and no suggestions.

I pick the car up and it is running Cobb Stage 2 91 Octane ANCI map. I hook a u-turn at the light right by his shop and start to go home.

Now the car has the crazy boost oscillation from 7 psi up to 15-16 psi and back down separated by about 1 second intervals.

I turn around and take it back into Paul and he really doesnt have any ideas or suggestions. I ask him if we could do a compression/leakdown test considering the motor has 156k miles on it but he doesnt have time to do it that day or schedule me for something in the future

So I limp the car home and flash back to Pauls custom Stage 2 map which gets rid of the boost oscillation but brings back the original overboosting issue.

So it looks like I am on my own for figuring this out.

This is what I did yesterday:

Replaced PCV assembly - the one I removed could very well have been the original one as it really didnt move/click back and forth.

Replaced Spark Plugs with new XI Iridium plugs - here is what the ones I took out look like with about 10k miles on them.

IMAG1114.jpg?t=1336954016

Cleaned K and N filter

Discovered a tear in the vacuum line that connects to the turbo right near where the Y pipe connects. I went ahead and replaced all the vacuum lines from the T connector out being sure to include a new restrictor pill. I double heat shrinked all hoses so that even if they get brittle and crack, hopefully the two layers of heat shrink will keep them tight. Maybe not.

Put in some fresh Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 and a napa gold filter.

Went and filled it with a full tank of Chevron premium (with one hose per grade hahaha) and reflashed to Pauls map.

First thing I notice when leaving the gas station (while watching DAM on the AP) is that as I start to take off from the gas station... At really low speed and RPM (barely any throttle) I can hear the engine click/chirp a few times like pinging. About 5 seconds later, my DAM goes from 8 down to 4. It stays at 4 while I get onto I-80... as I start to go uphill towards Auburn, I start to give it a little more gas (maybe 40%) and I hear it ping again and DAM goes down to 0.

I drive up to Ophir and cross I-80, then park on the shoulder of the onramp to WB 80... not only is the onramp downhill, but the 10 miles of highway immideatly infront of me are downhill. I reflash to Pauls map to get my DAM back up to 8 (where it starts).

I baby the acceleration trying to keep my DAM to stay at 8 or go higher.

I drive for maybe 4 miles this way and keep the DAM at 8... all the way up to 80 MPH.

Then I get in the slow lane and let the vehicle slow to about 55 MPH... now I accelerate at about 50% throttle and my DAM goes from 8 to 10 to 12 to 14 and then stays at 16!!!

"Wahoo" I think to myself.

I drive for about another 10 miles or so with DAM going from 16-14 and back up to 16.

I get off the freeway at douglas. As soon as the light turns for me to take my left onto douglas, I start off with maybe 20% throttle. I hear the car ping/chirp almost as soon as I start to accelerate and the DAM goes to 4 and then 0.

I park it for the night.

Today me and the Fiance wake up and decide to go for a sunday drive.

So we head up 80 towards Emigrant Gap.

Starting off, DAM was still at 0.

After about 5 minutes of highway speed driving, someone stayed in the fast lane too long causing our speed to drop to about 50 or so.

I am still babying the car as I watch the DAM and all of a sudden, during like 40% acceleration, DAM goes to 2, then 4, then 6 all the way up to 16.

I am super happy. DAM stays there for a while until I have to slow down again for another vehicle.

This time when I start to speed back up (at same throttle as before), the engine pings and my DAM goes down to 6 then 0.

I stop monitoring DAM and just enjoy the drive. By the time we got to highway 20 and I80 junction, I looked down and my DAM was back up to 12.

Last edited by Harry Maneuvers; 06-18-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Another update

Hello All,

So it has been a while since the last post. Since then, I have installed the 4 pots in the front and the 2 pots in the rear.

Hawk HPS pads all around with EBC Ultimaxx Blackdash rotors and ATE Super Blue fluid.

IMAG1139.jpg?t=1339531194

I have also been digging into the motor a little more.

I just did compression on it over the weekend because I had nothing to do Sunday morning.

Numbers:

Cylinder 1
IMAG1165-1.jpg?t=1340031052

Cylinder 2
IMAG1172.jpg?t=1340028939

Cylinder 3
IMAG1163.jpg?t=1340076636

Cylinder 4
IMAG1170-1.jpg?t=1340030952

So that checks out.

I did a boost leak test with a crappy 1/5 HP compressor which was JUST barely enough to point out a really leaky BPV gasket.

I am pretty sure that the turbo inlet is cracked from when I just replaced the PCV valve. It is likely that it is the original inlet with 158k miles on it.

I will be doing a better boost leak test to try to pin point the leak if any and will also be installing a DW200 fuel pump just because.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 PM

Small bump.

Threw on the stock DP to get it smogged. Had to drive nearly 100 miles to get the monitors up and running but once they were she passed with flying colors. Currently 168400 miles on the car so I am pretty happy

Name:  temporary_zps90b67559.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  114.2 KB