Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Alliedforces FR-S build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
Originally Posted by RallySportDirect
Wow your car looks amazing! Loving the Toyota badges Do you feel like that 16mm rear bar made a difference? and would you also recommend going with a front bar as well to balance it out?

Cant wait for more updates.
Thanks,
Rick
Thanks for the nice words Rick. At this point the car behaves the way I like, with a little oversteer. I want my cars to, if anything while cornering, to oversteer slightly. Gives me more confidence when pushing it. I don't think the front sway needs to be changed, however, my next suspension purchases will be some more of the Cusco braces, but this time for the front end, ie: front strut tower brace w/brake MC stopper, and the front subframe brace to start. See where that lands me in tightening up the front feel.

Now if I went to the STI 19mm sway then I'd consider changing the front, but even without TC on and pushing the car in the twisties it's hard to get the rear to slide out unless you really jerk the steering wheel into the corner. The Primacy tires aren't too shabby in keeping the car planted during spirited driving.

Hopefully next month I can have more parts on the way

Last edited by Alliedforces86; 07-02-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: GC,GF,GD,GR,GH
Yeah we had a local customer install the 19mm rear from his STi, and he did say it was a bit too much, but would be perfect with a front sway to balance it out. Good to hear that the 16mm produces some nice oversteer, as that is exactly how I would want the car set up as well. Appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 AM

Ordered some more parts this morning, "On Order" list updated in first post. Hopefully I can squeeze in at EQ's dyno BBQ on the 20th and see how much better the K&N filter is over stock. Parts ordered from RallysportDirect
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Right on.

Are you going to do a pull before/after the drop in?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Right on.

Are you going to do a pull before/after the drop in?
If I'd have to pay for 2 pulls then no lol.. Plus theres enough stock dyno pulls from these cars, and Ed said they had one that made 150hp in stock form. I haven't seen any dyno info on K&N's filter and what gains it has. We'll see if I even make it there and am able to get it on the dyno.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Car Info: bugeye WAR wagon
subscribed!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by BeE_JiZZeLs
subscribed!
the more the merrier
Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
If I'd have to pay for 2 pulls then no lol.. Plus theres enough stock dyno pulls from these cars, and Ed said they had one that made 150hp in stock form. I haven't seen any dyno info on K&N's filter and what gains it has. We'll see if I even make it there and am able to get it on the dyno.
Makes sense haha
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Went for a nice drive last weekend. Still need to edit the GoPro footage, but here's some pics.

Name:  IMG_1768.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  290.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1771.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  182.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  192.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1778.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  165.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1779.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  195.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1782.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  113.8 KB

Last edited by Alliedforces86; 07-09-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Very nice... Curious though. Why a FR-S and not a BRZ? I do like the Toyota badges a lot though.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 PM

Car Info: 2015 Forester XT SWP
Yeah, I've been curious to know what sways buyers to pick the version they do.

Personally I might go with the BRZ just because I have a WRX now, but as soon as nostalgia for my 93 MR2 and my old Celica kick in, I'd be leaning towards the FR-S.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 PM

When these cars were announced way back when I first wanted the Toyota version since it has the heritage behind it unlike the BRZ. I've owned a few AE86s so it only made sense to go with Toyota.. Though I do love Subarus and I had my WRX and my Fiancé ended up buying a bugeye WRX after I got rid of mine. So I ordered a WRB BRZ to match my fiancé's WRB WRX.

After getting jerked around buy the Subaru dealer in Sac and not wanted to get bent over from the mark up thy put on it, I decided to just go for the Toyota. I was only 4th on the waiting list for my BRZ, and if I was still waiting I still wouldn't have gotten it yet, I had the opportunity to get the frs, I took it. Saved about 6k doing it, and I actually like the interior more that the base BRZ. A friend I work with ended up buying a Premium BRZ shortly after me buying my FRS, and after driving his and riding in it, I prefer the toyota more. The suspension on the Toyota is firmer compared to Subarus, the strut bound/remound that is.

On a side note though, if the STI model comes out and it's worth trading in, I will highly consider it.. But we'll see what they do to the STI model first vs. how much I mod my 86 to see if it's worth changing.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 2015 Forester XT SWP
That sucks about the dealer hassle, but I totally see your point about the AE86 though.

Congrats on getting a good deal on a hard to find car! A dark grey/charcoal FR-S passed me going the other way on the freeway last night in Nevada City. I scared my wife half to death when I yelled and pointed it out to her.

She wasn't as excited as I was apparently.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Wagon
That sucks about the dealer hassle, but I totally see your point about the AE86 though.

Congrats on getting a good deal on a hard to find car! A dark grey/charcoal FR-S passed me going the other way on the freeway last night in Nevada City. I scared my wife half to death when I yelled and pointed it out to her.

She wasn't as excited as I was apparently.
Lol. Yeah I saw a blue on the hwy today for the first time, they're out there, just dont know where. I went to the Toyota dealer in Sac today to go to their parts department, and the salesman swarmed my car. Most of them have yet to drive the car let alone get a close look at it. It's crazy, I think I bought mine at the perfect time, cause they're so hard to buy now unless you order one and wait forever.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Car Info: RWD SR20/Impreza
Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
On a side note though, if the STI model comes out and it's worth trading in, I will highly consider it.. But we'll see what they do to the STI model first vs. how much I mod my 86 to see if it's worth changing.
What would make it "worth" it? I'm just curious. The STi shouldn't and probably won't have too many differences opposed to the FRS. You might as well keep the FRS and upgrade it mildly as time progresses. You should've sent mass amounts of proposals to various companies when you first got the car so you could get some free work done. A lot of companies were borrowing peoples FRS' so they could mock up parts.

Personally I think the only VALUABLE upgrade for a FRS/BRZ/STi would be a complete hub and brake conversion that would change it to 5x114.3.

I saw your car at Sonoma Drift a while back. I don't know if you were there 2 weeks ago, but a friend of mine got to pilot the CorteX Racing/Out Performance FRS. The car was brought up from Texas. I think the FRS has potential to be a good drift/time trial car with some time spent in suspension setup and possibly a new powerplant. The overall chassis I think is well put together.

Congrats on your purchase. I look forward to seeing this car built.

Quick Reply: Alliedforces FR-S build thread.