Legacy Knocking/Pinging...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Titanium Pearl, and 2007 Legacy 2.5i Limited, Brilliant Silver
Legacy Knocking/Pinging...

Hey all,

I posted this in the tri-state forum too since the area where I live is both tri-state and New England. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything about excessive engine knocking/pinging in the Legacy's 2.5.

I have a 2002 Legacy GT Limited sedan with around 41K on it, and at around 30-40 mph, there is loud knocking/pinging from the engine. A friend said he heard on one of the radio car talk shows that 2002 Legacies have been plagued with this problem (as well as blowing head gaskets) and Subaru can't figure out why.

I have taken it to Rye Subaru a few times for the problem (I live in CT but Rye is closer to my work than Subaru of Wilton), and they told me they hooked it up to the diagnostic machine and everything was OK. They told me to upgrade my gas and switch brands, so I now use 89 octane. It helped a little but I have to say I am still disappointed, because I expected this car to be perfect mechanically for a very long time. All I know is I do a lot of driving and I need this car to last! Has anyone else experienced this or heard anything about it? Thanks...