Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

2006 Legacy 2.5i - Turns on but Turns off immediately Knocking / Squeaks from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 PM

Car Info: 2006 Legacy 2.5i NA
2006 Legacy 2.5i - Turns on but Turns off immediately Knocking / Squeaks from Engine

So here is where I stand. Got the Spark plugs changed after seeing oil in 2 of them. Then got the VGC changed a week later using subaru parts straight from dealership. Drove the car normally in the city with no harsh driving maybe about 50kms or so after the job was done. Maybe a hard accelerate here and there to merge in and out of traffic. Then I decide since I'm on an empty highway I'd give it some push. So i do, from 40kph to about 140kph (held at 5500 rpm for few seconds). After I let off the accelerator, the cruise light is flashing and check engine light is ON. I'm hearing some weird noises from the engine bay. Nothing like knocking or clunking but noises like hissing and stuff.

I pull over shoulder lane. Once i come to a complete stop, car is still on and its now displaying all the ERROR lights on the dash. They all came on and stayed on at the same time. Check engine was already on at this point but now it was accompanied by all the other lights the car has on the cluster. So we tried to start it back up, no go. When it does fire up, just makes knocking noises then goes dead. Car only starts up and stays on when started up COLD in the mornings now. Once I get that lucky start, the ones that follow after are all followed by engine losing power and going dead. Say if I turn the fan on, engine dies right away. There are metal filings now visible on the dipstick. oil level is fine though...

So I decide lets unplug and plug back all the random wires I can see in the engine bay. Did that and turned car back on. Same issue. Tried taking out the ECM fuse to see if that helps, nope. When the car is turned on, it shakes and knocks like it is struggling with itself to keep running. The car gains temp to normal temp below middle but if I turn on the heater fan, car shuts off right away. What could this be? If I put it into drive, it'll inch forward and once even 1% throttle is applied, it shakes, RPMs drop and car dies.

So I'm stuck with a lemon now which I bought less than a month ago certified from a dealership who passed it with leaky VGC and literally next to NO COOLANT was in the tank. I topped it up with Subaru's original coolant and the only oil / fluid level that has been effected by my harsh drive is the coolant. It has dropped a qtr or so from the full line. I had filled it up to a little above the full line. Mechanic came by last night with reader and got two codes: P0026 P0028. He wasn't sure what they meant either.

I checked the rad cap, seems fine no residue. Checked what I can visually. Could the mechanic that did the VGC job for both sides have left something plugged or unplugged that caused my car to spazz out on the highway when i gave it some power....? The knocking noise is accompanied by some sort of shrieking noise like metal on metal contact.

I have third party insurance for drivetrain. they cover 750$ per repair. Wondering how to approach this problem... The mechanic I got the VGC changed from is saying to tow the vehicle to his garage so he can further inspect the car.. Should I do this or wait till Warranty dudes send me to one of their places to inspect / repair.

So I have left it at his shop (he somehow got lucky with driving it to his shop, but as he drove it up his car ramp into the garage bay, it hesitated and shut off.
so it runs. but making a hell of a knocking noises when it is running. and won't stay running either. any hard power applied and its gone.
the mechanic took the front belts off to see if the wheels would spin freely and they all did. he suggests its something to do with camshaft or maybe the pistons are out of place.
its a boxor engine i know nothing about it so I'm really hoping you guys can help.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by borderlessworld
So here is where I stand. Got the Spark plugs changed after seeing oil in 2 of them.
Stop right there. Why was there oil on your spark plugs? Where did it come from? Changing the plug doesn't fix the failure that put the oil there.

I've heard the huffing-puffing-wheezing kind of sound on a car with a really badly blown headgasket. Which would be likely if the car had no coolant in it. I'd take a wild guess that your oil leak, low coolant level, and catastrophic failure under load all stem from the same issue.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM

sigh

oil in the spark plugs as i found out online was due to the rocker cover gaskets on both sides of the engine.

please see the pictures attached. these were taken when i was getting spark plugs changed.
so i got the plugs done first then went ahead and got original subaru parts and got the VCG changed on both sides a few days later. ticking time bomb i guess was the result of this work?

the coolant level is fine, it was above full but is now sitting a little below it. engine oil level also shows full on the dipstick. i think pushing it and then letting off the gas created some kind of pressure that imploded after i let off the gas pedal and as i did, check engine, weird noises etc. pulled over all the check lights on the cluster were showing

the car only starts when cold. what gives
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Legacy 2.5i - Turns on but Turns off immediately Knocking / Squeaks from Engine-photo-2.jpg   2006 Legacy 2.5i - Turns on but Turns off immediately Knocking / Squeaks from Engine-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by borderlessworld; 01-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 AM

VCG change

so they changed them.. here is a picture when the job was being done
i stood there for over an hour in the cold shop making sure they didn't miss anything and still. here i am with a dead car
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Legacy 2.5i - Turns on but Turns off immediately Knocking / Squeaks from Engine-photo-3.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Im with Gancherov it sounds like the motor is done for mate.

Have it compression tested cause im guessing the oil got by the rings and the empty radiator probably means bad head gasket.

Im sorry for your loss but it looks like you bought a lemon.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM

yeah clearly i was sold a lemon by this ******* at AJ best buy auto in toronto. i hate these snake dealerships that act honest to your face but are liars from the get go out to make $ off you. i want to destroy this guys biz but i cant because one consumer against a dealership is meaningless drama. anyways i get 750$ per claim from my aftermarket warranty guys. they said 4 claims i can make. so maybe i can get them to combine those claims. but i doubt they will.
new engine is needed i knew that from the moment i heard those noises. the oil level was fine i checked it after spark plugs were changed and even after the VCG was changed. the oil level stayed the same never lost any oil.