Help! audio install caused clicking under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 1996 legacy gt
Help! audio install caused clicking under the hood

Calling all scooby junkies! I just installed an Infinity Basslink 200 watt 10" sub in my 1996 legacy gt, and now theres a clicking sound coming from under the hood, near the belts. Actually theres more than just a basslink. I bought a whole new set of infinity speakers, and a clarion double din head unit. One box with the head unit, the sub, and the rear deck speakers showed up, and I installed what I could, but then I found out that they haven't even begun to ship the door speakers OR the wiring harness . So I'm stuck with no working stereo in my car until those pieces come, and I still have a clicking noise to deal with. I did everything by the book, installed a 20 amp inline fuse near the battery for the sub power, grounded it correctly and all that jazz. The sound that developed doesn't even seem to be caused by or coming from the new wire I put in, as I tried by very hardest to route it out of the way. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this before? I'm thinking I could need a new alternator cause of the power draw, but its not even that much of a draw, and the clicking still goes when the sub isn't powered on. Mabye a new battery could be in order? I think my costco battery might not be living up to the task anymore. Any thoughts on this, insight, or miracle cures? All help is appreciated.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
hmmm i had a 12" sub in my car with no problems. is the clicking still their if you remove the wiring from the battery? try grounding it in a few different spots. sorry i can't be of more help. i can't think of any quick fix
Old 07-16-2006, 07:18 PM

Car Info: 1996 legacy gt
I think I figured it out. There must have been some piece of plastic stuck in or around the belt and when I drove it around the problem stopped. Call me a noob if you want, I just want to keep my car running right. Actually once before when I left my car for a few weeks and turned it on the engine was having trouble idling, but once I reved it up a bit I guess the gunk got cleared out, I just hope no ones cat was caught in the belts o_O. I pretty proud of my suby cause after 10 years all of the electrical is still working fine. My friends '96 Camaro z28 just had work done on it to fix a problem with the abs and traction control failing. Also his windows wouldn't roll up right and sometimes not at all. The only thing that has ever gone wrong is the two pieces of copper on the starter solenoid corroded and it wouldn't start, but 5 dollars of copper fixed that up nicely. Not bad for a 10 year old car.