Engine/electrical problem, very strange; help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 PM

Car Info: 1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton 2.2L SOHC 4WD 5-speed
Engine/electrical problem, very strange; help?

My car is a '96 Legacy Brighton 2.2L manual 5-speed, and it's having issues right now.

It will turn over/idle beautifully, but the second the car is put into motion, problems ensue. As long as the clutch is pushed in and I'm coasting, everything runs fine, but as soon as I hit the brake or the gas, anything that could jostle wiring, it starts acting like there's a major short somewhere; the headlights, parking lights/turn signals, brakes, and any interior/dash lights ALL start flashing on and off at random, fast intervals. With the lights goes the power steering. I'm pretty good with mechanical, but I have very little experience with engine/electrical problems. I've checked over the relays in the main engine fuse box, and the battery connections. I just replaced the starter, and I've seen alternator problems on other stick shifts before, and this isn't really acting like it. Any ideas? I have an appointment for an elec. diagnostic on Thursday, and would like to give the technicians more to go on.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 PM

Maybe some bad connections with the main power going to the fuse box