2001 Legacy L Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 2001 Legacy L
2001 Legacy L Please HELP

Hi All, Newbie here.
Bought a 2001 Legacy L(automatic) with around 77500 miles yesterday. My mechanic looked it over before I bought it and heard a ticking sound in the engine, suggested that the used car dealer/shop replace the plugs and wires, which he did. Picked it up and it drove fine, no noises. This morning I noticed that when put into drive from park a slight shudder/vibration is apparent, it can be felt under the driver's seat most noticably. Also, when accelerating, there is a rattle coming from the engine(not really loud but loud enough to notice), this is most noticable, it seems, in first or second gear. Any ideas on these two problems and whether they are connected? I do have a 3 month/4500 mile warranty(whichever first), so I would like to get these issues cleared up before that's expired(obviously).
Old 12-05-2006, 11:32 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by ponner1us
Hi All, Newbie here.
Bought a 2001 Legacy L(automatic) with around 77500 miles yesterday. My mechanic looked it over before I bought it and heard a ticking sound in the engine, suggested that the used car dealer/shop replace the plugs and wires, which he did. Picked it up and it drove fine, no noises. This morning I noticed that when put into drive from park a slight shudder/vibration is apparent, it can be felt under the driver's seat most noticably. Also, when accelerating, there is a rattle coming from the engine(not really loud but loud enough to notice), this is most noticable, it seems, in first or second gear. Any ideas on these two problems and whether they are connected? I do have a 3 month/4500 mile warranty(whichever first), so I would like to get these issues cleared up before that's expired(obviously).
this is a problem with the older automatic trannies. my mom had a 2000 forrester and the tranny wouldnt engage until about half a second after you pressed on the gas and also did the stutter thing when changing gears.

they replaced the trannie and the problem came back, you can get rid of it by reseting the ecu (remove battery terminals and hold the brakes down, then let it sit for a while) and letting it relearn.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 2001 Legacy L
Solved

I had another mechanic I know listen to it, wound up being the exhaust shield rattling. I'm just going to deal with it, can't hear it with the stereo on. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 PM

I figured the rattle noise was just a heatshield. Easy enough to take a hammer and a punch to bend it so it stops.

Doesnt sound like theres anything wrong with the transmission. If you wanted you could put new fluid in it and maybe add a grounding kit to the engine bay. Seems that the car was just cold though